X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tmbecker78
    • Jan 2011

Sub spacial filling

So, I decided to run a little experiment with the basement system with left over equipment I have accumulated over the years.

This discussion is for the sub system only. I have an Onkyo m282- rated at 125w RMS @ 6 ohm...not rated at 4 ohm per the manufacturer.

This amp is powering 2 poineer premier ts-w120c subs (12" 150 rms @ 4 ohm) in an enclosure that I built. I modeled the enclosure after my Velodyne DPS 12. The basement is approximately 20x30. The only thing I have not done to the box is to fill it with polyfill. Pioneer recommends 1.4 cu ft per sub in a ported atmosphere. The box I built is approx 1.5 cu ft per chamber. Using a tuning program ala winisd, I tuned the box to 31hz after requesting the spec sheet from pioneer.

The problem: When I get close to the sub enclosure, it is obvious that it is putting out deep, clear bass. The aspect that I am not satisfied with is how the subs fill the basement space. You can notice a difference in that deep bass has been added, but it does not hit(and fill the space) the way my Velodyne does in my 13x20 living room. What can I do to rectify this problem? Bigger amp, different enclosure, or both?

My intuition tells me that I need higher powered subs and a higher powered amp to fill the space, but I have sentimental memories of these subs and want to make them work.....opinions??? advice???

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by tmbecker78; 05 February 2011, 11:11 Saturday.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

I think placement might be affecting you. A poorly placed sub will greatly suffer in performance. Using one of the methods readily available on the web and such, if you try out some optimal location choices to place your sub inside the room, you may be able to noticeably improve the output.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

I agree with Chris D on sub placement. As with speaker placement, location is paramount. However, I cannot help but think that you are indeed underpowering those monsters!. At 4 ohms, you are probably also taxing the poor Onkyo amp !.
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• 1Michael
        • Sep 2006

Move the sub around :T
        Michael
        Chesapeake Va.

Comment

• tmbecker78
          • Jan 2011

Thanks for the comments all. Looking at a new amp as running this amp at 4 ohms to push these subs is definetely taking the amplifier's power to the max, no doubt shortening it's lifetime. I've moved it around a little with varying results. Unfortunately there are only so many areas where I can set up the av system.

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

All subs should be self powered in my opinion with a minimum of 250 watts. Bass is a VERY power hungry frequency !!! :-)

Comment

• tmbecker78
              • Jan 2011

Alright, now regarding an amplifier...Back in the day when I used these in the truck, I had a 100wx4 amp bridged powering each sub at 4 ohms...so really I was way above the recommended RMS of the subs but I remember that this ended up being the best set up after also trying a 150x2 RMS amp. This was in the year 1995...

Flash to now. I need an amp for the house. My budget is low as this is a 'fun' system for the basement. Car amps are not an option for many reasons....So I need a home amp. I keep coming up with pyle amps via various searches. 4000w x2??? Apparentely the way amps are rated now adays are a little misleading. I can't even begin to comprehend how they get those numbers...based on drawing max load on starting inrush current????? What a joke.

So if I want something that is capable of 200-300w rms per channel (bridged or not bridged), what am I looking at(pyle or otherwise)? I am almost thinking of picking up 2 of the 240w rms sub amps from parts express and cutting up the back panel of the enclosure to accomodate....or get the 500w rms amp and run the subs in series(at 8 ohm). Either way, cutting a big ole hole.....of which I am not a fan.

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

You are right about how amps are rated nowadays!. (Compare a 110 watt/ch Sony to a Rotel 75 watt/ch and you'll see what I'm talking about!) All I can say is if you want 'real' watts and amps, buy the best amp you can afford. Harmon makes some nice amps and they are not expensive.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"