Speaker Suggestion and Do I need a Center Channel?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spykids777
    • Dec 2010

Speaker Suggestion and Do I need a Center Channel?

Hi,

I am new to this forum. Have learned a lot going through the diff queries. I am thinking of buying B&W 800 series spekaers for my Home theater. My room is about 16ft wide by 27 ft long - half family room and half kitchen. My TV is a 60inch Pioneer Kuro Elite mounted on a fireplace 11inch above the mantle with the depth of the mantle being 11inches also. I am going to use this for ~60%movies and 40% music.

Separation of my main speakers are going to be about 6ft - 7ft. My options are:
    1. 803D with no center - recommended by my installer since according to him there is not enough separation among my mains and with the imagery of the 803D being so good according to him I will not miss the center channel. Also as per the dimensions given for the mantle and the TV I do not have enough space for the HTM2- it will involve some TV remounting :roll:
    2. 804D with HTM4.
    3. 804D with the HTM2 and get the remounting done.

I would appreciate any inputs since I am new to this.
    Thanks in advance for reading this long post.
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

My experience is this......In the old days of Pro-Logic, you could get away with no center channel speaker. Where Dolby Digital and DTS is concerned, a center channel is essential!!. If you tell your processor or receiver to output without a center channel speaker, it generally will not do a good job and this is a SERIOUS compromise sound wise!. The older Pro Logic was based on 2 channel sound but the new sound formats are dedicated 5.1 sound formats with low freq effects (LFE). In addition, the center channel speaker is seriously THE MOST important speaker in a home theatre setup!. Get the biggest, best performing one you can afford!!. The whole problem with above the fireplace TV locations is the center channel issue. A major compromise sound wise for sure!
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

I completely agree. It doesn't matter how great of speakers you get, if you're doing home theater, the center channel is the MOST important of all the speakers. If you're primarily doing music, then great. But for any TV and movie watching, you've got to have a center channel.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2006

4. Wall up the fireplace and get 3 803Ds or 3 804Ds.
        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• bigburner
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

5. 803Ds with no centre, and eliminate your family and friends so that you always have the sweet spot to yourself. At least you'll be warm.

Nigel.

Comment

• spykids777
            • Dec 2010

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. I finally ended up buying the 803D and JL Audio Fathom 113 sub. NOw I am debating between the HTM4d or HTM2D. The 4 fits better since the space between the bottom of the TV and 11inch deep fireplace mantle is about 12.5inches. Also the dist between the 803D is about 6-7feet. THe HTM2D will produce better center channel effect but would mean moving the TV up and adding L-shaped brackets to support the speakers over the mantle since it will protrude out 4inches, but will sonically be slightly better match Decisions Decisions!!

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"