X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WaterMark
    • Sep 2009

One of those Help Me Choose posts

I want to update my older Yamaha AV receiver rxv3300. Built like a brick but getting outdated.
    It was actually an 8.1 receiver with the front effects and a single back channel. All internally powered if you want.

I want to go with as many new surround channels as possible for movies, but still value stereo music as much.
    I have a nice 5 channel external amp that I use to biamp my left/right plus power the center, plus I also have an extra stereo amp if necessary.
    So I don't need the receiver to power all the channels. Multiple sub outs are a plus. I think I read some receivers now allow re-directed bass from small speakers to a seperate sub versus LFE channel to it's own dedicated sub?

Other than lots of channels, I want ability to manually tweek the speaker equalization that the newer receives all feature, and the equalization needs to include the subs. Also want the dynamic EQ

I don't think I need to have all the video up conversion and switching in the receiver as I am happy with picture quality with my current set up feeding direct to TV, but I could change my mind.

Ready for sat radio, wireless connection to my internet would be great also.

Price matters but I will pay what it takes to get something that I can keep for the next 10 years.

Thanks
  • thatguyyoulove
    • Aug 2010

I would definitely go with a Denon 4311CI, or if you don't need 3D capability for the future, HDMI v1.4, or HD Radio then buy last years 4310ci.

It will do 9.2 (Dolby Prologic IIz), has automatic speaker room correction (Audessey) which I believe is manually adjustable per speaker after the initial calibration (absolutely excellent sub equalization too!), Dynamic EQ, pre-outs, very good DACs, Sirius ready, wired network connection (could buy cheap wireless to wired adapter if it absolutely has to be wireless, I used to do that for an xbox), and plenty of other goodies.
    Product Link

It will absolutely allow you to set your speakers to small if need be to redirect all low frequencies below the crossover point that you set to the sub channel. Plus it will drive 4 ohm speakers rather easily.

IMHO it is better to buy a receiver like this than the absolute top of the line as we see so many new protocols come out every year that receivers get replaced fairly often. I would definitely hold for 3-4 years minimum though. Some people do go 10 years though.

For an extra $1000 ($2,999 total) you could get the 4810CI which will give you 9.3, XM and Sirius, and Wifi. Not sure what else it adds compared to this model (it doesn't have 3D compatibility or HDMI v1.4).

Comment

• Pio
      • Nov 2005

Why Not Go For Seperates?

If you have the power amps, look at either the new Onkyo Professional SC5508P or the Integra DHC 80.2. Both of these are essentially the same - so pick the one you think looks best. Both have 9.2 channels and a very cool bi-amp feature. You can always get another power amp if you want to use all the channels available.

I love the bi-amp feature in my Integra - it lets you select the cross over frequency of the L/R's independently from the center, surrounds, etc. Very flexible! I believe the new ones have even more options to fine tune.
      Stereo: Revel F208, Parasound JC2, JC1's, Oppo HA-1, VPI, Dynavector, Moon

HT: B&W 802D2, 805S, HTM4, Marantz, OPPO BDP95, Velodyne DD-12's

HP / secondary system: Woo Audio W2, Carver Sunfire, Kef LS50, Denon, and too many headphones to list

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"