Can I get some opinions? (Innocent thread)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • B_Rich
    • Oct 2010

Can I get some opinions? (Innocent thread)

Well I'm starting from scratch on the home audio build. This IS my first rodeo in the home audio world. I've been in the car audio world for about 4 years now and I've learned a ton there. I slowly apply what I know from there, to the home audio world.

Short story: over the summer my parents splurged on a 46" Samsung LED TV. This is a rare purchase for our family. Well, me being the audio nut that I am, I have slowly convinced my Dad to let me build some towers and get into a small home theater system. Surprisingly, he approves. So I get planning.

This system will be built over winter break for me, as I'm currently away at college. This gives me plenty of time to design and plan out what I want to do (hence, this thread). I've come up with a set basis of what I want to do, and would just like your guys' opinions on the equipment I've chosen, or if you have any pointers or advice for me. The entire build, from start to finish, can't exceed $500. So, yes, it would be called a budget build to some.

I'll be using a 10" Image Dynamics IDMAX that I had in my truck for the ground pounding. It'll be powered by a (Parts Express?) 240w amp, wired at 8ohms, so only ~120w. This won't change. It's equipment that I already have (that I'm actually pretty happy with).

For a receiver, this is what I've come up with:

It may not be top of the line, but it has enough HDMI inputs for the blue-ray, HD cable, and my 360 (rarely used). 110w x 5 is what I like to see, although I'll only be using 2 of those channels for now, potentially upgrading to surround sound down the road.

For towers, I plan on going with the TriTrix tower design from Parts Express.

$230 shipped for drivers, crossover components, CNC cut wood and easy-as-pie assembly is hard to beat. I AM a big DIY'er, but this is just too good of a deal to pass up. This means I don't have to scrounge up a table saw from a friend, and cut wood in 10 degree Iowa weather.

Not sure what else I can describe for you guys. One question I've been asking myself, what do I do about a HPF for the midbass? I mean, I know it's not uncommon for midbass to go down into the 60hz region, but what about below that? Do most receivers have a built in HPF setting just for that? I didn't see anything when I was reading through the description of that Pioneer headunit. I'd like to cross it over at around 80hz or so, regardless of how low those Daytons play.

Any and all comments and suggestions are welcome. I'm still in the planning stages, but this is what I'm thinking.

Thanks for all the help everyone, it won't be ignored.
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Heck of a deal on those speakers! http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-702
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• B_Rich
      • Oct 2010

Haha, agreed!

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Wow 199 bucks.....

Comment

• cbark
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by B_Rich
          Not sure what else I can describe for you guys. One question I've been asking myself, what do I do about a HPF for the midbass? I mean, I know it's not uncommon for midbass to go down into the 60hz region, but what about below that? Do most receivers have a built in HPF setting just for that? I didn't see anything when I was reading through the description of that Pioneer headunit. I'd like to cross it over at around 80hz or so, regardless of how low those Daytons play.
          Yes, the receiver will have settings for adjusting the crossover to the LFE. Mosty of the time they will have independent settings for front, center and rear channels.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"