X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fryguy
    • Apr 2006

Any opinions on these?

Well I've made the decision to probably buy a house in the next year or 2, and so I need to limit my spending somewhat. I was originally planning on going with some of the higher-end DIY oversized bookshelves on this site for use as computer speakers, but can't justify spending $1k+ anymore (cost of cabinets is prohibitive to me, as I have to get things built because I have absolutely 0 tools, and less than 0 skill with tools).

That said, does anyone have any opinions on these: http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/pro...roducts_id=624

They would be strictly for audio use (on my computer), receiving ample power, and would be placed on stands about 4ft from seating position (just behind and off to the sides of my desk, toed in).

Think I'm wasting $300? I have everything I need for speakers except for the speakers themselves (source, DAC, amplifier), so I'd really like to get this finished before I call it quits on audio spending for a while.

If I WERE to DIY, I'd end up trying to find somebody to modify PE cabinets to my needs and probably build NatPs/Modula MTMs (or some of the 3-way bookshelves that are popping up like the Neo CC), however I am not sure of the suitability of 3-way bookshelves in the nearfield.

Opinions on these speakers?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Nearfield is a function of the design and how it's implemented, not whether a design is 2-way or 3-way.

I doubt that the eD are any more optimized for nearfield use than any of our designs.

IMO having ports flanking the tweeter is bad news.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Fryguy
      • Apr 2006

Thomas, any recommendations on a 3-way design suitable for nearfield on this site? Or, for that matter, your preference for a 2-way nearfield?

Comment

• Nemophyle
        • Jul 2006

hey fryguy

first of all, most MTM design around are not 3 ways but 2 ways (Modula MTM and Nat P's). You may find 2.5 ways, althought there more likely to be TMM as it's more adapted to this filter topology.
        The modula NeoCC is a 3 way in fact, though it looks a bit complex and expensive for what you're searching for

IMO, you certainly don't need speakers that big for nearfield listening, especially for computer listening. Big MTM speakers will image best if you're farther away from them than what you're gonna put off. And you dont need that big speakers for real nearfield, except if you're deaf or wanna become. A MT with a 4-6" woofer will be enough, and you can always fill in with a sub later.

Also what you've got to determine is if they're gonna be close to wall / wall mounted or if you're gonna have a proper distance from walls/ desk . Most serious speakers are designed to be stand mount and away from walls.
        And believe me you dont want to put a speaker with bsc on a desk /wall

Some very good speakers designs have a no BSC version , two of them below:

Flush mount Modula MT

Zaph's ZMB4

Comment

• MuaDibb
          • Oct 2006

I would look at Jed's D4 in the Lineup thread, I'm listening with them pushed up against the wall for computer speakers and they image just fine, although its a small soundstage at that distance. From 4' thats even better, with a sub I doubt you would be dissappointed. The price would be right in your range also.
          Ultimately all things are known because we want to believe we know.

Zensunni Wanderer

Comment

• Operandi
            • May 2007

I think there are several options that would work well, personally I'm going to be using a 2.5 way TMM version of Roman Bednarek's Microbe SE for my PC audio system.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"