Blockbuster vs. Netflix for Blu-ray rental?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maseline_98
    • Apr 2005

Blockbuster vs. Netflix for Blu-ray rental?

We currently have blockbuster. I like the service because we are able to exchange them in the store. The problem is that our closest store is closing this Sunday. When renting through the mail, the blu-rays(at least new releases) seem to take much longer to get than we would like(usually with a 'very long wait' conotation). Does netflix have this same trouble? I'm not sure the pricing of netflix. We were paying $19.99 for 3 movies, unlimited store exchanges, and 1 game coupon/month. I thought the pricing wasn't bad, but don't nearly watch that many movies at a time. We've had "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" for months now. I have a xbox, but I'm not sure how much we would actually use the "Watch Instantly" feature since they are usually only older Starz movies(have that with OnDemand and DD5.1). I only seen the pricing was $8.99/month for 1 movie at a time. How much is for 2 at a time or 3 at a time? Didn't really see it on their website.

The main question is: Should I drop the dying blockbuster and move to netflix?

On another note: I read the Redbox will start carrying blurays for $1.50 each, but I think they will have a 28 day delay.

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
    Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

• Aug 2000

We have the Netflix one-at-a-time program and Blu-Rays get to us within a couple of days of returning the one before.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• maseline_98
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by David Meek
      We have the Netflix one-at-a-time program and Blu-Rays get to us within a couple of days of returning the one before.
      Well...more-a-less what I was asking is, "Do they send you the movie that is at the top of your queue?". With Blockbuster, I noticed that a lot of the times, the new release are 'unavailable' and they tend to send movies that are farther down the queue. Example, we exchanged a movie in the store to try to get "Shutter Island"(which was at the top of queue-->followed by "Alice in wonderlan" on Wednesday. Instead, they shipped "Whip It", which was third in the queue.

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
      Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Just added Shutter Island to my netflix and it shows a short wait for blu-ray (came out two days ago). Alice in Wonderland is showing available.

I've always received the ones at the top of my list, but I'm usually a week or two behind from when they are released.

Kevin D.

Comment

• looneybomber
          • May 2007

I've contemplated getting Netflix, but those that have it, have told me there's a 2 day shipping time around here. So 2 days there, and 2 days back or 4 days between movies, and sometimes 5. Any one else experience this?

That said, I would sign up for Blockbuster, but the last store closed in Topeka not too long ago and I don't feel like driving ~25miles to the next closest store in Lawrence.

Comment

• numberoneoppa
            • Sep 2009

looney: not an issue if you have a plan that allows more than one movie out at a time. You can't watch them all at once, right?

I think netflix is great.
            -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by maseline_98
              Well...more-a-less what I was asking is, "Do they send you the movie that is at the top of your queue?". With Blockbuster, I noticed that a lot of the times, the new release are 'unavailable' and they tend to send movies that are farther down the queue. Example, we exchanged a movie in the store to try to get "Shutter Island"(which was at the top of queue-->followed by "Alice in wonderlan" on Wednesday. Instead, they shipped "Whip It", which was third in the queue.
              We always get the first in queue title. I've never had one skipped.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

I've been with Netflix for maybe 5 years, and think it's just fine. I'm only remembering maybe one time, where my next film in the queue wasn't available, so they sent me the next one after that for free (didn't count against my plan) while I waited. Both DVD's and BD's have always been ready for me.

In a measure to strive against wasting too much free time, I've only ever signed up for the "1 movie at a time, 3 per month" plan, which has been just fine for me, and I only pay something like $6.95 per month. I almost never feel like I gotta have 2 rentals within 2 days, and if it's a busy month and I don't end up using my 3 rentals, I've wasted minimal money.

Both in Washington State and Alaska, my shipping time has been next-day, each way, so I mail it, Netflix gets it the next day, and then I get my next movie the day after that. I've NEVER had a problem with that.

Even when I deploy to the Middle East, I just change my account mailing address to my address there, so I can keep watching movies while I'm gone. Of course, there's a longer mailing time, but I've been plenty happy.
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• eb15
                  • Sep 2006

I haven't done blu-rays by mail, but with regular dvds, I found netflix much more responsive in shipping out discs, compared to blockbuster, and never sent me something from down in my queue before what was at top, unless they sent it as a bonus for waiting.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"