X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Netflix, Blockbuster, other DVD renting companies

I checked, and didn't really see any other threads that had a good discussion of these services, so I thought I'd start one for everybody to chime in.

For a while, now, I have NOT signed up with DVD rental companies, primarily for the reason that as I travel a lot with my job, I didn't think that I'd be home enough to get my money's worth from it. However, I just got a flyer yesterday from Netflix saying that plans start at $6.99/month, so I thought I'd give it a try, including the 2-week free trial period.

So I signed up last night--the $6.99 plan is as low as you can go, which give you 1 movie at a time, max of 3 per month. I figure if I like it, I can bump up to a higher plan if I need. I spent last time last night with Netflix's format, going through, and rating the movies that I have seen, to give me recommendations of movies to rent. I came up with 101 DVD's I'd like to see, so I guess I might get more use out of this than I thought! So far, I'm liking the way Netflix goes about the rankings and such.

It looks like Blockbuster offers approximately the same as Netflix, price and everything, although I noticed that they do throw in coupons for in-store rentals too.

One cool thing I saw on Netflix last night is that starting next week, they are going to be offering HD-DVD rentals! Wow!

So what do you guys think of the rental programs? Which plans do you use? Been worth it?
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Vinny
    • Mar 2006

I've been using the 3disk program from Netflix over the years. First I started off with borrowing my sister's plan everytime she has a trip(she loves to go off the state for several months every once in a while). It was good to have those and I started to watch movies like crazy(constantly doing 2/3 movies in the same night :B , not a Friday/Saturday night but have school for next day).
    Then I turned to have my own account and I added like 100+ movie in the first night :rofl: .
    Everytime I have the problem with disk they send a replacement out pretty quick. I usually recieve it next day which I did not even send out my damaged one yet sometimes. The recommendation from ranking is ok but not too helpful, as I know what I want to watch most of the time and never short on list.
    The low side about netflix was the directing system is a little bit weak compare to an ordinary database. Let's say if you click on an actor/actress, they do have some background information about the actor which is great. However, the list of the movie is totoally chaos, no sorting at all and there is no option for sorting. You have to browse through each one and see what you want to have.

The other ba thing is they are not too honest on their recieving speed, sometimes they slow you down one or two day on recieving which they should have already recieved.

Otherwise I'm pretty satisfied with what they offer so far, maybe I will throw the list upto 5-8disk over the summer as my fiancee come visit me and spending time in home most of the time :B

I looked at the HD DVD section as well and they claim for renting about those without additional charge....... I don't have the HD DVD yet so I did not spend time on it any further, just wait
    Pioneer KRP-500M
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Parasound 5125
    Oppo BDP-83
    Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
    SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• june
      • Feb 2005

Hello All,

Blockbuster gave us the bang for the buck. The in-store coupons won us over.
      June
      "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• MikeRocchio
        • Jan 2005

Here's one for Hollywood video. We used NetFlix for several years, and the 2 movie plan worked great, until I installed the "theater".

The draw back I saw with NF was that you pick your movies in advance and then when it's time to watch them you may or may not be in the mood for that type of movie. (you order comedy on Monday but feel like drama on Friday).

Then there is the rainy weekend... you may want to watch more than the 2 or 3 movies you can have from NF. If you go local BB or HV you can go back and get as many movies as you care to sit through, and they will be what you want to watch today not what you wanted to watch on Monday!

YMMV

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Originally posted by MikeRocchio
          and they will be what you want to watch today not what you wanted to watch on Monday!

YMMV
          I agree. While I have no complaints about Blockbuster's service, we wound up watching less movies because we could never get in the mood for what we had. Couldn't go to the store because we would be wasting the service.

It was ok when it was $15 a month. As long as we watched one movie a month from the mail, the coupons let us 'break-even'. After it jumped to $20, it just wasn't worth it.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Shane Martin
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2001

Netflix is an easy choice for me. Their selection is way better than Ballbuster.

$9.99 a month for 2 at a time. Can't beat that. After 2 rentals I'm already making money AND i don't need to drive to the store. With gas approaching $3 a gallon, this is huge.

Comment

• Vinny
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Shane Martin
              Netflix is an easy choice for me. Their selection is way better than Ballbuster.

$9.99 a month for 2 at a time. Can't beat that. After 2 rentals I'm already making money AND i don't need to drive to the store. With gas approaching $3 a gallon, this is huge.
              Going out does not seem to be a problem over the summer/spring which the weather is nice. But as it approaches winter you do not even want to get outside 10yard of the house and it's tough to drive to somewhere else too.

The gas became $3.059/gallon in Long Island here since week :M
              And it's regular's price, thank god I have a Civic that only drinks regular but not premium
              Wait I'm an atheist.....
              Pioneer KRP-500M
              Emotiva UMC-1
              Parasound 5125
              Oppo BDP-83
              Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
              SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• dyazdani
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Oct 2005

I'm on the 3 at a time plan with NetFlix. I really like it - great selection, easy to use.
                Danish

Comment

• H.T.C
                  • Nov 2003

There are other mail order dvd rental services such as greencine and nitchflixs and will rent also the cult movies.
                  Robert

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"