X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spadez
    • Jan 2010

Connect two speakers to one output

Hi.

I have two Anthony Gallos 8Ohm speakers. My amp has one output for a centre channel speaker. Would it be a problem if I connected both of my gallos to the single centre output?

I would assume this would be ok, and make it seem like it was driving a single 4Ohm speaker. They arnt the biggest speakers, so I dont think it would be a problem for my 807 Onkyo amp. However, they were quite expensive so I would hate to damage them.
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

You will not damage the speakers but you should check to see if your 807 will handle a 4ohm load.

That said, multiple speakers, especially for the center channel, will usually result in poorer imaging.
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• spadez
      • Jan 2010

Have I got it correct that it will be a 4Ohm load, and how should I connect up my speakers, parallel or series?

The two speakers will be very close together so I dont think it will be too much of a problem for the acoustics.

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Yes, as Kal said it will be a 4 ohm load if you run both sets of speaker wires to the same output terminal on the Onkyo.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by spadez
          Have I got it correct that it will be a 4Ohm load, and how should I connect up my speakers, parallel or series?
          4 ohms in parallel. 16ohms in series.

The two speakers will be very close together so I dont think it will be too much of a problem for the acoustics.
          Not really possible.
          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• spadez
            • Jan 2010

Here is the way I see it. Many people use centres with something like an MTM configuration. My speakers are circles, with 5" diameter. If I put them 5" apart, it would still only have a 15" spread, which is less than a normal MTM.

When people use an MTM configuration for a centre people dont say it will not be acoustically accurate, so I don't see why this would be any different.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2006

Here is the way I see it. Many people use centres with something like an MTM configuration. My speakers are circles, with 5" diameter. If I put them 5" apart, it would still only have a 15" spread, which is less than a normal MTM.
              That will shift the frequency where there is interference.

When people use an MTM configuration for a centre people dont say it will not be acoustically accurate, so I don't see why this would be any different.
              Regardless of what "people" say, there is interference. People with MTM centers don't hear and/or don't care about it. Mebbe that's you.
              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• spadez
                • Jan 2010

So all MTM centres are accousticallly inaccurate? Wouldn't this mean MTM's in general suffer from the same problems?

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2006

So all MTM centres are accousticallly inaccurate?
                  Almost without exception.

Wouldn't this mean MTM's in general suffer from the same problems?
                  No. Only when positioned horizontally.

BTW, if you are going to ask me for a technical explanation, I suggest you google the topic as many people (including me) have explained it many times. Try AVSforum, for example.

Also, let me add that this problem is not something that bothers everyone and you can decide for yourself if it is an issue for you.
                  Kal Rubinson

Comment

• spadez
                    • Jan 2010

Hi,

Thank you for the information. I think in my situation the benefits outweigh the problems, although I will experiment with it none-the-less.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"