Props go out to Rotel for their Firmware Updates!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Props go out to Rotel for their Firmware Updates!

I just thought I'd start a thread to say how HAPPY I am with the Firmware Updates!!! :T :T

I just updated my 1098 from 3.1.0 to 3.1.4 and WOW. Every issue I had with the unit has been fixed! No DPLIIx - Game mode, now have it. No sleep mode for TFT, now have it. DTS drop out with my DVD player, NO LONGER (thanks to better stream detection with firmware). Faster volume control with remote, now have it. I always hated how slow the slow setting went, I liked being able to adjust numbers one at a time, but it never would go fast...now it's all fixed, press it once or twice or repeated, it goes up by 1, hold it down, it FLIES through the volume. Sweet!

Only thing I wish they'd change is show the dbs for the volume over the count. But oh well, everything else is superb!

Oh yeah, upgrading went by without a single hitch! Nice, easy, and smooth. And for a Techie type person, lots of fun!

Definitely write down your settings and do the reset to defaults after you upgrade, makes sure it all works right then!

So I think Rotel needs a nice "pat on the back" for making the firmware upgrade easy and smooth sailing!

Only pain was disconnecting the unit and getting behind the PC to hook up the cable, I need a 50 ft cable so I can just upgrade without having to move the unit... lol, think they can fix that with a firmware upgrade? :B

Also, I want to thank Andrew for all the help with getting the firmware. You the man!

-Dan
    Last edited by PewterTA; 24 February 2005, 12:08 Thursday.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan
  • mradem
    • Feb 2005

Sweet words Pewter . Question about the default settings. Did you set the factory default settings before you connected the rotel with your pc?
    DvD Collection

Comment

• soundhound
      • Mar 2004

Nope, after the software has been loaded. This will enable you to run on the changes the code made.

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by soundhound
        Nope, after the software has been loaded. This will enable you to run on the changes the code made.
        I actually did not reset to factory settings, and I am still able to access my new firmware modifications.

Is it imperative that the reset occur?

If so, why, just curious?

Also, do I really need to perform the Eprom upgrade, if it has been done previously? Never mind I found the answer to this question.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• GosonFletchy
          • May 2004

It is not a necessary step but doing a reset after installing new software will ensure that every aspect of the new software will take effect. I remember doing an update in the past where some of the additions were not working correctly. Then I did a reset and it worked fine. If you are not having any issues then I would say you do not need to do it. Looks like they updated their website too so the new software is there now as well.

G.

:grab:

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

The problem I found before I reset, is when I set Video1 to DPLIIx-C and Video2 to DPLIIx-G, it switched the Video1 over to Game as well. As soon as I did the reset, each option stuck to whatever I had set them as. This only happened with the default listening mode, not with inputs, or labels, or anything else.

So I HIGHLY recommend restoring the factory defaults. I had most of it written down so it took me a matter of 4 minutes to get everything set up back to the way it was.

The only thing I need to check, is I want to check the calibration, my left speaker seemed like it was lower and not equal to the right speaker (as it was before the firmware update). It could be just the fact that I had it turned down so low (11pm, everyone's asleep). But I'm going to put in Avia and see what I come up with.

Other than that it works great. The MTTY software to upgrade was extremely quick, took it less than 2 minutes to update the unit (which I was suprised about, I figured it'd take longer, but it was only 256K update). Their instructions were layed out so that everything was purely step by step, which is nice so people don't have to guess on anything.

Great Job on Rotel's Part... I know another thread complained about their lack of supporting their firmwares, but I think they just save the best for last (so to speak).

I'm definitely happy with how things turned out.
            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
            -Dan

Comment

• Raphie
              • Nov 2004

Fully agree, excellent work ROTEL, well done!! :T

Comment

• mradem
                • Feb 2005

I will write down all my settings tonight and give it a try .
                DvD Collection

Comment

• Azeke
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2003

Thanks for the reply, I have actually redone everything for the 1098, including the Code 4 upgrade, and I reset to the factory defaults, just to be sure 8) . I guess it's like Windows you have to restart for all updates to take effect in the registry .

Well done Rotel, the upgrade (my second, btw) was flawless :T .

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• wywong
                    • Jan 2005

Hi, could you folks let me know should we do the eprom4 upgrade first before the firmware upgrade, or it should be the reverse.

Comment

• weijst
                      • Jun 2004

I'd recommend doing the Eprom upgrade first. This seemed to be the only way when upgrading my 1068.
                      Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• wywong
                        • Jan 2005

hi, I am running v1.14, is there any problem upgrade to 1.21 directly. Will all OSD settings change after the upgrade?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

No there's no harm in jumping directly to the latest version and do the eprom code update first.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"