• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Analog Outputs from DVD/Blu-ray Players

Simple question.
    If you take the analog 7.1 output from a blu-ray/dvd player and put it into a the 7.1 input, does that bypass most AV processor's speaker size/distance/etc configurations?
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Some. Most processors have "straight-through bypass" on the analog inputs, that bypass all processing, DSP settings, and often bass management. Some also bypass the basic channel distance and level settings as well, making the processor no more than a simple volume control on the multichannel analog inputs.

That's why for me, instead of using high-res audio over multichannel analog inputs, I connect it via HDMI to an HDMI 1.3 receiver I use as an outboard decoder. The receiver is able to use all settings, and even apply DPLIIx and Audyssey processing. THEN I output the high-res audio over multichannel analog outputs to my main high-end A/V processor, which is the master processor for my theater setup.

I've got a big thread on how I did this over in Club Parasound, here in the Guide:

CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• dtb300
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Chris D
      Some. Most processors have "straight-through bypass" on the analog inputs, that bypass all processing, DSP settings, and often bass management. Some also bypass the basic channel distance and level settings as well, making the processor no more than a simple volume control on the multichannel analog inputs.
      Great point. One has to check each companies product to see what it does and does not do with pass-through. I also found that pass-through on each unit also affects the sound as many units I auditioned had different sound quality levels.

That's why for me, instead of using high-res audio over multichannel analog inputs, I connect it via HDMI to an HDMI 1.3 receiver I use as an outboard decoder.
      Have or did you try any dedicated processors over receivers in your tests?

BTW, I see you have been over at MLO talking about CLX's. There are many of us CLS/CLX owners there to help you out.

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Actually, the reason I'm asking is because I'm set on getting the Oppo blu-ray player, but I may be leaving HDMI AV processors. The Oppo can decode everything for blu-ray movies, but I'm wondering if there are any disadvantages to doing it that way (i.e., would post-HDMI processors not add distance, size, etc to the 7.1 analog inputs?)

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

queso, well, my humble advice is to stick with digital connections. By going to multichannel analogs, I think you're taking an unnecessary step backwards that adds in another level of D/A and A/D conversion. (unless you need to) You're asking the player to convert the digital HBR audio stream to analog, sending it via analog to a processor, which then converts A to D, does processing, converts back to A, and sends out to your amps or speakers. Might as well keep digital as long as possible to stay clean.

Originally posted by dtb300
          Great point. One has to check each companies product to see what it does and does not do with pass-through. I also found that pass-through on each unit also affects the sound as many units I auditioned had different sound quality levels.

Have or did you try any dedicated processors over receivers in your tests?

BTW, I see you have been over at MLO talking about CLX's. There are many of us CLS/CLX owners there to help you out.
          Well, no, in my case I'm waiting for an announced HDMI 1.3 processor to be released, the Parasound Halo C3. All my other gear is Halo, and as long as I don't compromise quality/capability (what I haven't so far, it's been the opposite) I'm hoping to stay with Halo gear. The C3 is delayed, mostly for the current economy. So I didn't actually audition any processors--I considered just replacing my pre/pro with the Integra DTC 9.8, but in the end decided on this outboard processor stopgap method until the REAL solution, which for me is a HDMI 1.3 Halo processor.

As for the Martin Logans, you caught me! (good catch!) Yes, I'm really torn about whether to take the plunge on the CLX's. That's a MASSIVE, MASSIVE purchase and would be my biggest single A/V purchase to date. It's really great, all the support I'm getting over there to explore the issues. I'd be interested to hear your take on those issues, too, such as the panel light reflection in a theater. I take it you're a CLS owner?

Maybe I'll start a separate thread, or... we've got to have a dedicated thread in the "Manufacturer Threads" section.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• littlesaint
            • Jul 2007

The majority of receivers or processors I've seen do not perform an A/D on the received analog when using MCh inputs. It goes straight to the op-amps. This is why you lose bass management, delay and any other processing save trim levels which are usually handled by the op-amps. If the Oppo has good bass management, speaker control, and DACs, you should be fine with analog provided your receiver does not perform an A/D. Personally, I prefer decoding in the player, but using HDMI for transport, but if the Oppo is great D/A performer, I would consider using analog.
            Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• audioqueso
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

Chris and littlesaint,

I appreciate all the great advice and information. Right now, everything I have is HDMI... but... I don't like it. I have DVD, PS3, HTPC, and cable all going into my Marantz receiver all via HDMI. My Wii is connected via component. I have one HDMI connection from the Marantz to the LCD. The idea is that it's suppose to be simple. My remote turns on the tv and receiver, and all I have to do is select my source on the Marantz, and that's it. No switching on the tv. Well, that's not the case. The HTPC (I use everyday), Wii, and occasionally the DVD player will flake out and the Marantz will not display the video. So I have to mess around turn menu on, menu off, or amp on/amp off, or source on/off. It's really a pain that I have to do that everyday. And apparently, none of the other HDMI processors are fault-free either.

My other choice was to separately send the video from the sources straight to the Sony Bravia... but the Sony does not have a separate button for each input. Only a toggle button to toggle through the different inputs. So that is just as INCONVENIENT as the Marantz.

So I'm considering leaving HDMI processors completely. I would buy something like the Oppo HDMI switcher to automatically switch between HDMI sources for video only, and still send the audio to the Marantz (or whatever post-HDMI pre-amp/processor I buy). That's why I'm asking about analog outs from DVD/blu-ray players.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"