X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jmark
    • Nov 2005

suggestions for an AV receiver please

I currently have a Yami 3300 which was one of their flagship recievers and built like a tank. Never had single problem and it instantly recognizes proper encoding from movies, Cable TV, etc..

But, it does not have any HDMI switching cabability, does not have the latest DPL2 and no auto or manual equalization capabilities. It has only one option for BM -small or large and no choice for crossover freq

So I would like to upgrade but only to a unit that is proven reliable. Since I use an external 5 channel amp I can live with a unit that might be considered under-powered on it's own.

Have had a couple HK units that crashed and burned previously so I am leary of their products.

Would definitely like a unit that has the ability to manually apply equalization to the left/right and center speakers and also to the subwoofer. I like the idea of the latest dynamic equalization being offerred by Auddysey but it appears on few affordable units that would have preouts.

I need the unit to offer 3 in and 1 out HDMI switching. I don't really need upconversion because my Oppo does that for my DVD's and I have digital cable for HD broadcasts.

If anyone has been in this search mode and figured it out I would appreciate input

Thanks

JM
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

I'd probably go with the Onkyo706
    Jason

Comment

• jmark
      • Nov 2005

That was a unit that I had in mind also, but have read a lot of mixed reviews on various forums about problems with the receivers implementation of the audessey software/hardware and also many complaints about the video quality when the unit tries to up-convert.

But maybe people only post when they have problems and most don't ??

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

I haven't seen anything about problems with Audessey but you said you had an Oppo so the upconversion shouldn't be a problem. Just use pass through on the video

I believe Home Theatre Mag has a pretty positive review on it's little brother the 606 (no pre-outs though).

Jason

Comment

• Race Car Driver
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

I have the new Yami 3900. Ive enjoyed it so far.
          Was an upgrade from my older HTR 5990.
          B&W

Comment

• jmark
            • Nov 2005

I don't think it was problem with Audessey but with Onkyo implementation. Lot's of people complaining about the microphone not recognizing speakers. Probably a cheap 25 cent mic that Audessey never intended for the system.

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

I think you can connect a better mike if you have one, no...?
              Jason

Comment

• jmark
                • Nov 2005

I'm sure they have to figure in some correction curve into the software for whatever mic that they supply with the unit, so substituting a different mic would not work- just my guess tho

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

I don't know if it would make THAT much of a difference but honestly that wouldn't keep me from buying that receiver. For the price not much can touch it on features and SQ.

The only other thing I would look at would be the pre/pro from Emotiva but that will involve some wait time.
                  Jason

Comment

• deke
                    • Dec 2005

I have an Onklyo 805 in my upstairs system as an amp and another as a pre into a Rotel 1075. I'm very happy with them.

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

You pick anything up JM?
                      Jason

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"