X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • von bek
    • Jan 2009

what can 500 bucks buy you?

have a budget of about $500 and would like thoughts and direction on where to go.

The part that I need help with is the speakers.
    So far here is what I am leaning on based on scouring the web on reviews and owner experiences.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

I was thinking about the Energy RC micro 5.1 package but it may be a little more than I can spend or Mirage Nanostats.
    The room is 18' X 20' and the ceilings are 18' w/ carpeting.
    5.1 is the setup and maybe in a year or so I would go with 7.1 so please limit replies to a 5.1 speaker combination.
    This is my first post to this forum so please forgive my naivete as this is my first HT setup.
    I do want a decent audio experience. I have been to brick and mortars and have not been impressed with any of the HTiB's I've listened to.
    Thanks to all for your insight.
    At least I have the receiver that I want locked down.
    ONKYO SR606 and a decent wireless speaker kit for the surround speakers. I heard they suck but I don't have the ability to hide speaker wire for the surround speakers I will be getting with your help.

Thanks.
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi von beck, welcome to The Guide. :welcome:

I'm not familiar with the Nanostats, but the Energy RCs and the Gallo Acoustics Nucleus line are both good systems to look into. The Nucleus units can be bought in pairs so you can start with a partial system and build into a full 5.1 operation as funds permit.

I'd avoid the wireless systems for now as the sound quality from the ones I've heard isn't great.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• von bek
      • Jan 2009

Thanks David.
      Being that I'm on a limited budget until my finances get better I went ahead and purchased JBL CS6100 5.1 speaker package.
      It got a lot of good reviews and should suffice in the short term untill I can afford a better system. Wireless is the only option for the surrounds for now since in the space there is no way to conceal wires. Besides rocketfish is there any other universal wireless speaker kits out there?

Comment

• Alaric
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

I'd avoid the wireless systems for now as the sound quality from the ones I've heard isn't great.
        :yesnod:
        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
        Schiit Modi 3
        Marantz CD5005
        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• von bek
          • Jan 2009

Update-
          Believe it or not the speaker kit I got was surprisingly good. Maybe because I’-m only about 15 feet from the receiver. I don't need much wattage on my surrounds and it did the trick. The JBL's are great with movies. I cranked it up with transformers and it blew me away.
          Overall on the limited budget it wasn't bad.
          --------------------------
          Onkyo SR606
          Rocketfish wireless rear speaker kit
          JBL CS6100

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"