X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenhorn
    • Feb 2007

Finally Got NetFlix - Questions

Not sure where this belongs, but finally got Netflix. Had encouraged my wifw for a year or so, finally she decided it was the thing to do. Only been with it a week or so, so no real comments yet apart from one.

The option to "download" or stream the movies instead of getting the disc in the mail. I'm really mixed on the whole thing. On one hand (the current hand) it's pretty exciting. Need something to watch and there you go. This is really exciting, kid in candy store exciting with all the content availible.

On the other hand, will this take quality movie viewing the same direction as mp3's and all has taken music?

All I had handy to work with was a 4 year old laptop across a b wireless network. I had to use Svideo out of the laptop, to the TV due to laptop limitations. The picture was so-so and sound was only 2 channel.

Anyone setup something nice with -
    G wireless network
    Quality computer hardware with HDMI and TosLink (or some kind of 5.1 out)?

How is the picture quality? They say picture quality is pretty dependant on network speed. Also, anyone know if they download - stream in 5.1 when the movie has 5.1 sound availible?
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Why not the stand-alone Netflix box, or the new Blu-ray players with Netflix built in?

Kevin D.

Comment

• Blindamood
      • Sep 2003

I got the Roku Netflix box ($99) not too long ago, and have been enjoying it. It currently does not support Hi-Def video, and only provides 2-channel (digital) audio, but apparently the box can be updated in the future to support HD material (I'm not sure about 5.1, but that might be possible too). We already had a Netflix subscription, so I figured "why not?"

Right now, I'm using it via wireless (to a 6MB DSL connection) and the video quality is usually pretty good. For instance, I've watched Heroes and Weeds on days when the connection is good and it looks like an upscaled DVD. Every once it a while it connects at a lower speed and looks a little grainy, but this is the exception.
      Brad

Comment

• Blindamood
        • Sep 2003

Just found this on the Roku site:

"The Netflix Player by Roku is 5.1 Surround Sound-ready. Netflix is working to make movies and TV episodes available in 5.1 Surround Sound. When they are ready, your Netflix Player by Roku will also be ready."
        Brad

Comment

• greenhorn
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Kevin D
          Why not the stand-alone Netflix box, or the new Blu-ray players with Netflix built in?Kevin D.
          Ok now that's a little vauge for me, what I think you mean is that there is a "Netfix Box" that will stream their content, and newer blue ray players will also? Is the Netflix box wireless as far as the network?

I'm a little bit of a computer guy and not the biggest fan of proprietary hardware regarding the netflix box...unless it's free. Also, haven't planned on going blue ray.

What I'd like is a nice little computer by the home theater that I could also use for music, pictures and all. It would have HDMI and Tos or digital out, connect via wireless. Wireless keyboard with touch pad and good to go.

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by greenhorn
            What I'd like is a nice little computer by the home theater that I could also use for music, pictures and all. It would have HDMI and Tos or digital out, connect via wireless. Wireless keyboard with touch pad and good to go.
            So why not do that then? :B
            Jason

Comment

• greenhorn
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by aud19
              So why not do that then? :B
              (In Best Pee-Wee Herman voice) Beeecaussse.... I'm looking for some input as to what others are getting as far as picture and sound quality in general. And WHAT are they using for hardware. ha ha

Reality is.... Is it worth a little computer hardware, or is the current use laptop decent as it's going to get. So far one person has responded with picture is pretty good to good and they only get 2 channel stereo.

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

As far as I know specific to the Netflix files, currently they're all 2ch only regardless of equipment... currently.

I'm not sure how it works via PC as that hardware would allow you to actually store the file locally but with Roku box it ONLY does streaming so image quality is very, very dependent on your internet connections available download speed. Slower speed = VHS quality, higher speed = good DVD quality (with HD apparently to come).
                Jason

Comment

• Johnloudb
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2007

I was going to post a new thread on this, but it's basically the same topic as this thread. So, I'll post here.

I'm considering this purchase to get netflix streaming:
                  LG BD300 Blue Ray

But, as I read above the Roku does the same for $99. I'd like something WiFi capable since I use a wireless connection (via apple airport) to the internet. Does the Roku do this ... does anything?

Edit: Excuse the stupid question. I just checked, yes the Roku has WiFi .
                  John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Blindamood
                    • Sep 2003

Roku Leaks Netflix HD Service
                    Brad

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Blindamood
                      Good News :T
                      Jason

Comment

• cinema bob
                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by greenhorn
                        Ok now that's a little vauge for me, what I think you mean is that there is a "Netfix Box" that will stream their content, and newer blue ray players will also? Is the Netflix box wireless as far as the network?

I'm a little bit of a computer guy and not the biggest fan of proprietary hardware regarding the netflix box...unless it's free.

its only $100 and yeah it can either be wifi or ethernet. I have one and love it.

Comment

• greenhorn
                          • Feb 2007

I checked into it and the little Roku box seemed like the way to go. Ordered one for the wife for her birthday...

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"