X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ruseriousclark
    • Feb 2007

Small-ish Full Range TM Designs

I'm building a set a of smaller sized cabinets for myself and a set for someone who asked me to. The listening enviroment where I can see these going is relatively small (14x16) and I'm thinking I want to try something different, so...

Cabinets are not going to exceed .5 cuft and really closer to .33 cuft. I'll adjust the front baffel to whatever driver is in the final design.

Looking for designs that use nothing larger than a 5 1/4 in order to stay with the dimensional parameters, but with good extension. I'll port tune in the mid 40's and hope to end up with an F3 around 37-35hz.

This is asking for the improbable and size matters as we all know. But really looking to build something a little different than I have in the past. Big sound from a small box. Two channel full range, no sub, enclosure less than .5 cuft.

I've seen the Overnight Sensations and a few others as being in this catagory, hoping to hear a few different ideas.

I'll start a build thread once I nail down a final design. These are getting rosewood veneering I still have enough of w/ a amber shelak and beveled or faceted cuts (I haven't fully decided).
    <-- Beware of Fluffy...He is the destroyer of Worlds!
  • evilskillit
    • Oct 2008

Aviatrix TM maybe? Just because those little guys have a lot of throw? I was going to say this sounds like a good fit for an Anarchy based 2 way, but you're going too small for that. Same with MarkK's Dayton Reference 8" 2 way bookshelf, but you're too small for that too.

Comment

• cosmindaniel12
      • Sep 2010

If budget is not an issue:

Very high quality loudspeaker kits, components, upgrades, modifications and custom solutions. Humble Homemade Hifi - the one stop loudspeaker shop.

Ireally don't think you can get more low-end extension than with that speaker from a small size.

Comment

• Undefinition
        • Dec 2006

Here's another "budget no issue"... :W
        Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
        Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• bmaupin
          • Mar 2008

I second the AviaTrix MT, but port it. I have a MT using the ND140-8 in 10L with a 6" x 1.5" port tube. The bass is great and the mids are equally nice. I tried it sealed with passive assist (500uF in series with woofer), but the bass was no where as good and power handling was too low.

Comment

• ruseriousclark
            • Feb 2007

Skillet- I've built both Mark K's TM's and they are unbelievable! Did the ER18DXT as a fathers day gift last year and would recommend them to anyone. Trying to go smaller though.

Good stuff. Always love looking over at Tony Gee's. Probably a little cost prohibitive and PR's are just too much for what I had in mind for this project.

Trying to keep parts in the 400-500 range w/o cabinets. I should have said that to begin.

Lots of Revelator projects out there and definately one of the first I considered and will stay near the top of the candidate list.

Can't find a tread on the AviaTrix MT. Remember seeing it over at PE forums I think as a Curt C. colaboration if I remember. How similar is it to the Seiscero TM?

Skimming the smaller mids at PE and Zaph's driver comp's, found the Tang Band W5-1685 I remember Jon having gotten a hold of one some time ago but don't remember the application he chose for it or deemed it more show than go vs other drivers at this price point. Only know of one documented build I've seen, but was in a tower configuration.

Also considering Peerless 830860 5-1/4" PPB Cone HDS Woofer and SB Acoustics SB15NRXC30-8-UC amongst others already mentioned.
            <-- Beware of Fluffy...He is the destroyer of Worlds!

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"