• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JPHIL
    • Jul 2004

upgrade...some ideas

Hi there...

Been a long time...

In 2004, I bought a Denon 3805. Very good receiver and still satisfied with it.

But now I have move in my new home. I have to build my HT room again. By the way, it's already started.

1-I want to still use the 3805. BUT, as a preamp this time. I'm looking for some great amp to go with it. Rotel, Adcom, Cambridge, NAD...

And also, I'm changing my Canton LE190 and Energy set-up speakers. I was thinking going with paradigm monitors since I will keep the Canton sub AS50C.
    I read some good reviews on the new JBL L studio series. Anyone heard them??? Is JBL finally coming back into real business now like in the 1980's? ;x(

What could be your suggestions here? Please guys, don't start bash the other ones options...

2-In my second room, I need a stereo receiver and a pair of speakers. Again I was thinking about Paradigm or maybe BW(bookshelf, because they are gonna be wall mount). For the receiver\amp\tuner I was looking for a NAD. What would be again, your suggestions here? This system will be mainly use for music, SACD, DVD Audio, CD's...Looking for some crisp sound(like Canton) and nice tight bass(even if they are bookshelves...I know....)

Thanks again guys for all your answer...

Jphil :T
    Denon AVR 3805
    Front: Canton LE190
    Center: Energy AC-300
    Surrounds: Energy e:XL
    Sub: Canton AS50C
    Image: Sony 57'' HD
    TV#2: Panasonic TC32LZ800
    Cablebox: Pace 551HD
    PS3 80 gig
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Budget? You may wan't to look at Emotiva I'd put them up there with any of those companies you listed yet they are quite a bit cheaper. You get a 30 day money back guarantee so you have nothing to loose. As for speakers I'm not sure about the JBL or any box brand speakers as I'm all DIY :B

Comment

• audioqueso
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

No, JBL is not a 'back'. I had the studio series 8 years ago. Time went on, I've been used to my B&W 805's for the past couple of years. LAST YEAR, I went to a store and listened to the new Studio series just to see what they really sound like now. Not even close to comparable with what I have now. Very masked, and boomy, and 2-dimensional. I know they changed them again for 2008, so I'm not sure if they took that big of a jump from last year to the new ones. However, just talking about their progress up to 2007, the Studio series was not impressive to me.
      B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• scarpi
        • Jul 2008

As for an amp recommendation, I love my new B&K Reference 200.5 series two. It is a five channel amp but there is also the seven channel version if you need that. Very powerfull, three dimemsional, solid bass, and sweet sounding not harsh. Sounds great on music and movies. For speakers, I think Paradigm gives you alot of sound for the money. My A/V system has Paradigm Studio 100 version 2 series speakers. If you are looking for bookshelf speakers try the smaller speakers in their studio line. Best of luck in setting up your two systems! :T Speaking of JBL speakers, I had a pair of JBL L150A speakers that I bought new in the 1980s. They were great at the time. They had a 12 inch woofer, 12 inch passive radiator, a five inch midrange and a dome tweeter. I had them for about 21 years until I bought my Paradigms. Those were massive old school JBL speakers with beautiful walnut cabinets. ; ;x(

Comment

• JPHIL
          • Jul 2004

after some discussions, I will sell my 3805 to go full HDMI. I can see that evryone agree on paradigm speakers. I guess this is the way I will go...After listening them later this week...I will also hear B&W and PSB speakers. It will be in those 3 brands for both system.

Now, for the HT amp\prepro, looking for Cambridge, NAD, Rotel...Any suggestions there???
          Denon AVR 3805
          PS3 80 gig

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

I honestly suggest trying out the Emotiva stuff.... you really don't have anything to lose with the 30 day trial. Also 5 year warranty. But if your one of those people that think it can't be good because its cheap then your loss :B

Comment

• dyazdani
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Oct 2005

I think either B&W or Paradigm will suit you just fine, I haven't heard any PSB models in a while so I can't speak to them.

I'm also going to refrain from specifying a particular model/brand on the HT amp, but for a reasonable price, I'd look at Rotel, Bryston, B&K, etc.

For your 2-ch bedroom system I'd just get a simple integrated or 2-ch receiver. I've had good luck with Cambridge and Music Hall. I also had a tube Jolida that was very nice.
              Danish

Comment

• JPHIL
                • Jul 2004

for the emotiva, I'm pretty sure it's good. but still, I never buy what I can't hear before with different speakers. And no one have emotiva line I thinhk around here. I will check in Montreal tomorrow. Thanks for the infos.
                Denon AVR 3805
                PS3 80 gig

Comment

• Alaric
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

From the speaker auditions I've done over the past year I can tell you Paradigms and B & W are very different. I love them both , and my affection is dependent on the material. You should hear the speakers you're thinking of buying before you write the check. My $.02
                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                  Schiit Modi 3
                  Marantz CD5005
                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Well Emotiva is an online only company thats why their prices are so good because they own their factory and everything. Thats why the 30 day money back trial is good if you don't like it send it back you get your money back. But its up to you. Your in a different country so that could persuade you not try them simply due to shipping and stuff. I like Paradigm a lot...B&W I've only heard some of the 600 series and a few 700's and they weren't that impressive simply due to cost vs performance. I do like Paradigm for a store brand quite good though and if I were to go commercial its probably one of the only brands I'd consider.

Comment

• Alaric
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

I'm a huge Paradigm fan. My Studio 60v.3s makes me all tingly in my happy place! I've also gotten to hear a pair of old Matrix 801s (driven by about 1000 watts of bi-amped MFA tube monoblocs) that positively whoop ass. I prefer the focus and clarity of the Paradigms , but the B&Ws don't lack clarity and detail at all. As for a bedroom system , find a Marantz PM7200 and some Paradigm speakers. Very nice synergy there. The Marantz integrated is (price-wise) a low-end mid-range amp. For sound quality , it is a very nice piece. The Paradigms will provide very nice detail at low volume (general rule) and handle big power with big , clean , output.
                      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                      Schiit Modi 3
                      Marantz CD5005
                      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Alaric
                        I'm a huge Paradigm fan. My Studio 60v.3s makes me all tingly in my happy place! I've also gotten to hear a pair of old Matrix 801s (driven by about 1000 watts of bi-amped MFA tube monoblocs) that positively whoop ass. I prefer the focus and clarity of the Paradigms , but the B&Ws don't lack clarity and detail at all. As for a bedroom system , find a Marantz PM7200 and some Paradigm speakers. Very nice synergy there. The Marantz integrated is (price-wise) a low-end mid-range amp. For sound quality , it is a very nice piece. The Paradigms will provide very nice detail at low volume (general rule) and handle big power with big , clean , output.
                        Word :B

Comment

• audioqueso
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Nov 2004

Alaric, I'm surprised you feel that way. When I purchased my first B&W's (600 S3) back in 2002, my last two choices were Paradigm and B&W. I found that they share similar sound characteristics. If anything, Paradigm was the closest to B&W compared to anything I've ever heard. But that's how I found them.

I still think the 600 line is the best cost vs performance. However, I'm referring to Series 3. They increased the price on Series 4 too much.

Comment

• dyazdani
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Oct 2005

I agree with the difference between Paradigm and B&W, but it is highly dependent on the individual speaker and situation in question. For example, I like the 805s but really do not like 804s. I thought the Paradigms tended to be less laid back than the B&Ws in general, but again this could be due to room, source material, etc.

Both are quality speakers though and you should not discount either one based on anything but your own preferences.
                            Danish

Comment

• Hdale85
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

I agree you have to do what makes you happy. You may like a completely different sound then any of us do. In home trials/auditions are the best way to go if you can do it.

Comment

• Alaric
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by audioqueso
                                Alaric, I'm surprised you feel that way. When I purchased my first B&W's (600 S3) back in 2002, my last two choices were Paradigm and B&W. I found that they share similar sound characteristics. If anything, Paradigm was the closest to B&W compared to anything I've ever heard. But that's how I found them.

I still think the 600 line is the best cost vs performance. However, I'm referring to Series 3. They increased the price on Series 4 too much.

I feel Paradigm and B&W are very close. The B&Ws are (to my ears) a bit smoother. Neither seems to have the advantage in detail or clarity. I think the absolute top of the food chain , when fed quality ampereage , (read:QUANTITY Amperage) is the B&W..
                                If you're on a budget , the Paradigm is a hard speaker to beat. My $.02
                                Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                Schiit Modi 3
                                Marantz CD5005
                                Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Alaric
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Jan 2006

Don't get me wrong. B&W are probabvly the biggest 'bang-per-buck' speakers on the market.; I feel Paradigm are a close second. The Signature Series is a fine set of speakers.
                                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                  Schiit Modi 3
                                  Marantz CD5005
                                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• PewterTA
                                    • Nov 2004

Rewire and solder the connections on B&Ws and you'll be amazed at the detail difference. I'd say the 600 series outperforms the 700 series, 700 series outperforms (or is identical to the 800 series) and well, if you do it to the 800 series... wow is all I can say. :E
                                    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                    -Dan

Comment

• wkhanna
                                      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jan 2006

I have e heard PewterTA’s re-wired speakers and compared them to an identical OEM set in my own system at home. Believe what he says, the difference is unmistakable and well worth the minimal effort.
                                      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• artv4
                                        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by audioqueso

I agree that the 600 series s3 is the best cost vs performance. i owned nht speakers for 4 years, and when i heard the b&w sound, i was totally hooked. pair them with rotel gear and you have a perfect match for any situation. the rotel rmb-1075 is a great start for multi channel amp.
                                        GO Revel!!!!! (powered by ;x( Anthem)

Comment

• dyazdani
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by PewterTA
                                          Rewire and solder the connections on B&Ws and you'll be amazed at the detail difference. I'd say the 600 series outperforms the 700 series, 700 series outperforms (or is identical to the 800 series) and well, if you do it to the 800 series... wow is all I can say. :E
                                          Which connections - Binding posts to X-over, X-over to drivers, all of the connections?
                                          Danish

Comment

• audioqueso
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Nov 2004

I think he did all, didn't he?

I'm considering this project myself on my 600 S3. I don't think I would dare open my 805's.

Comment

• JPHIL
                                              • Jul 2004

wow...changing the wiring...did not thought about this one...But if it can help that much....why not...
                                              Denon AVR 3805
                                              PS3 80 gig

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"