The Vintage JBL West Coast Sound becomes the…

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Swerd
    • Aug 2006

The Vintage JBL West Coast Sound becomes the…

Coast to Coast Sound - Part 1

My first speakers were a pair JBL L-100As that I bought in 1973. I always enjoyed them and still use them today. Their easily identified sound, the so-called West Coast sound, was once a highly touted marketing feature. Ad copy claimed that musicians and recording engineers were buying or stealing the original model 4310 (a professional studio monitor that preceded the L-100s) for home use. JBL did succeed in installing these monitors in most large recording studios in the 1970s, including Angel, Capitol, Deutsche Grammophon, Elektra, EMI, London/Decca, MGM, RCA, Reprise, Vanguard, and Warner Bros. Although they may have been responsible for some bad studio mixes from the '70s and '80s, even by today’s standards, they do amazingly well for a 3-way speaker with only 2 crossover components. Their relatively high sensitivity generates an incredible attack giving music an energy and presence that few other speakers could reproduce then or today.

Figure 1 JBL L-100.jpeg

When I got a home theater audio set up in 2000, I built it around the nearly 30-year old JBLs because they were still in great shape and I could find no full-range speakers for less than $2,000 a pair that satisfied me. Audiophiles have whined about the vintage JBL sound for as long as I can remember. Some of this may have been sour grapes due to their widespread sales success. And some of this was no doubt due to their obvious coloration. I soon learned to keep silent around the more outspoken audiophiles because I got tired of hearing those lectures about my misguided ways. Maybe part of my motivation here is to deliver, at long last, a rebuttal to those lectures.

A few years ago, I began playing with DIY speaker building. I was originally interested in learning what features are important in making a speaker sound good. To make a long story short, it’s all in the crossover, and to a lesser extent, cabinet design. A well designed crossover can make average or even
    poor drivers sound decent, and a well designed crossover combined with genuinely good drivers can make for a truly excellent speaker. Other exotic or expensive tweaks that we so often hear about all make much smaller differences – if they are audible at all – in comparison to the big improvements from a good crossover.

I eventually hit upon a DIY design that is my favorite, the CAOW1, a small 2-way speaker designed by Dennis Murphy (http://murphyblaster.com/) that combines a 5¼" midwoofer (Seas CA15RLY) with a ¾" dome tweeter (Hiquphon OW1). Although I didn’t realize it at the time, I was carefully avoiding any DIY 3-way design that might compete with my JBLs. After I built the CAOW1s, I found that I preferred listening to music over them. Except for the obvious lack of deep bass below 50 Hz, they sound much more balanced and are more satisfying for listening. Not surprisingly, their frequency response curve is flat. The JBLs, my first love, sat in silence, except for movies. They just didn’t do it for me any more. I occasionally cranked them up to get a taste of their wonderful bass attack, but they now sound wrong in the critical midrange frequencies. But before completely giving up on them, I decided to test the idea that it’s all in the crossover.

Continued
    Attached Files
  • Swerd
    • Aug 2006

Coast to Coast Sound - Part 2

First of all, I rediscovered the remarkable build quality of those JBL drivers. The 12" woofer (JBL 123A) in particular is a gem. Black crackle finish covers a cast aluminum alloy frame. The motor contains a 6 lb. Alnico magnet of 10,000 gauss with a 3" edge-wound copper ribbon voice coil. Immersing the coil in such a strong magnetic field, results in a driver with outstanding sensitivity, range, and dynamic response. The cone, an early version of coated paper, with its characteristic white color, is unusually well-damped, as we shall see. All around close construction tolerances were common, as exemplified by the tiny gap between the voice coil and magnet. They are used in the L-100 with no low-pass filter at all in a vented 1.6 ft³ (45.3 L) cabinet. The JBL owner’s manual claims the vent tuning is at 27 Hz.

The 5" midrange driver (LE5-2), with a potent 2¾ lb. Alnico magnet of 16,500 gauss, is even more sensitive. Used in the L-100A with a 1st order high pass filter at 1.5 kHz without any low pass filter, I could easily hear prominent upper midrange peaks, and feared that it may not be a very smooth driver.

The 1½" cone tweeter (LE25), although clearly not up to today’s dome tweeter standards, does OK below 10 kHz. It is used in the L-100A with a 1st order high pass filter at 6 kHz. Note that on my L-100As the polyurethane foam surrounding the tweeters has long since decayed.

The cabinet is heavy, solid and strong, with a beautiful walnut veneer that has stood up to time without showing its age. An obvious problem is the layout of the drivers.

Photos of these drivers can be see on a website (http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/vintage.htm) by Troels Gravesen, a DIY speaker builder in Denmark. He also shows frequency response curves of the woofer and tweeter from L-100As he intends to refurbish. Note that his woofer is smooth out to 6 kHz! Try and find a 12" hifi driver today that can do that! The tweeter looked OK, at least from about 3 to 10 kHz. That left the midrange driver’s performance an unknown. Gravesen’s information suggested that the L-100A drivers were good enough to deserve a better crossover, and inspired me to try.

In a similar effort, Troels Gravensen restored a pair of JBL L-26 Decade 2-way speakers of a similar age as the L-100s, http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/JBL-L26.htm. He designed a new crossover that seems to perform much better than the original design. If you are interested in restoring any of the older JBLs, his website is worth reading.

The original L-100A crossover is a good example that vintage is not always better. It contains only 1st order high-pass filters at 1.5 kHz for the midrange and 6 kHz for the tweeter. The woofer had no filter at all, and the midrange lacked any low-pass filter. It is certainly simple, but as we’ll see, it’s far too simple.

Also note that old JBL drivers were made with the opposite absolute polarity compared to most other manufacturers of today. When a positive voltage is applied to the positive terminal of a JBL driver, the cone moves in-wards not outwards.

Figure 2 JBL L-100 Original Crossover.jpeg

At this point, I asked Dennis Murphy, if he was interested in this vintage make over project. His eager response generated the rest of the details below. I am most grateful for his expert help and enthusiastic guidance.

His first look at the speakers provided a frequency response curve that graphically shows just what “The West Coast Sound” means. Several features are prominent:
    • A big ugly peak from 6 to 7 kHz. Perhaps caused by unfiltered breakup of the midrange driver, this peak certainly would have to be tamed.
    • A general rising response as frequency increases, especially above 2 kHz. This probably can be easily correcte.
    • Destructive cancellations were seen resulting in deep troughs at 3.3 kHz and above 9 kHz, producing a prominent comb filter effect. This is probably due to the unfortunate placement of the midrange driver relative to the tweeter and woofer on the front baffle.

The prominent rise and fall of frequency response below 200 Hz is the product of room reflections and their resulting standing waves and cancellations. It is not directly due to the speaker.

Fig 3 Old on-axis response.gif

If the 6-7 kHz peak is due to midrange driver breakup, then adding a low-pass filter for this driver may fix it. Along with a better balance between the low and mid-to-high frequencies, correcting the first two problems would alter the most glaring of the West Coast sound features while preserving other desirable attributes of these drivers. If the destructive cancellations are caused solely by midrange and tweeter interaction, an appropriate low-pass filter for the mid driver may correct that; however the destructive cancellations may still remain to some extent due to the driver layout.

Continued
    Attached Files

Comment

• Swerd
      • Aug 2006

Coast to Coast Sound - part 3

Further testing revealed that none of the individual drivers seemed all that bad. In fact, Dennis commented, “Those paper drivers are much better behaved at higher frequencies than many modern drivers.” A decent solution might be found without swapping in a different driver as I had originally expected. The unfiltered frequency response of the woofer is shown below, followed by the midrange, and finally by the tweeter.

Figure 4 Woofer unfiltered.gif
      Figure 5 Midrange unfiltered.gif
      Figure 6 Tweeter unfiltered.gif

Dennis worked up a crossover design and while listening to it via his crossover emulation software, he sent me this rather provoking email:

“It sounds freaking great to me. The tweeter isn’t state of the art, but it gets the job done…”

For those who don’t know Dennis Murphy, he avoids colloquial exaggerations ands is usually rather understated. When he gets excited, I sit up and take notice.

Continued
      Attached Files

Comment

• Swerd
        • Aug 2006

Coast to Coast Sound - part 4

The predicted frequency response with the redesigned crossover is shown below, first with proper driver polarity and then below that with the midrange’s polarity reversed. The latter curve shows the new crossover points, and demonstrates that the drivers are in phase around the crossover frequencies when the polarities of the connections are correct.

Figure 7 New emulated response.gif
        Figure 8 New emulated resp reversed.gif

The woofer-mid crossover, at ~950 Hz, involves Linkwitz-Riley 4th order crossover slopes. The mid-tweeter crossover, at 5 kHz is also LR 4th order. The glaring 6-7 kHz peak is essentially eliminated, and the high frequency comb filter cancellations are also gone!

According to Dennis, “It took more than adding a low pass filter for the midrange driver above 5 kHz because the big peak was not caused by driver break-up. It’s actually an additive diffraction artifact caused by the wide baffle and the goofy layout of the drivers. Getting rid of it wasn’t easy, and certainly wouldn’t have been possible using the design technology of the '70s.” The profile from 10 to 20 kHz remains uneven, and is probably the best the tweeter can do – looking just like the unfiltered tweeter response curve.

Continued
        Attached Files

Comment

• Swerd
          • Aug 2006

Coast to Coast Sound - part 5

Dennis built a test version of the new crossover which produced the following directly measured frequency response curve.

Figure 9 New on-axis response.gif

I listened to it and quickly knew that I would be building some crossovers soon. If the original sound of the JBL L-100A was the “West Coast Sound”, then I will call this the “Coast to Coast Sound”. It clearly shows that you haven't really heard one of these old book-shelf JBL speakers until you have heard it with a proper crossover.

Figure 10 New crossover.jpeg

Note:
          I have repeatedly pointed out the problems caused by the driver layout of the L-100A. It has been a vivid lesson for me why almost all speakers today keep the drivers arranged in a vertical line. This photo (borrowed from a highly informative website on the history of James B. Lansing, his companies, and his speaker products: http://www.audioheritage.org/html/profiles/jbl/l100.htm) shows the four different layouts of the various JBL studio monitors made in the '70s. The redesigned crossover I’ve described is designed specifically for the L-100A model (2nd from left in photo). The L-100 model (3rd from the left) appears to have its drivers arranged in a vertical line. That might be a more desirable used model to buy if you can find one, but the redesigned L-100A crossover may not work as well for any of the other models.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Scott Simonian
            • Nov 2004

Each coast has it's own sound?

Like the east coast likes sealed and west coast likes vented? Lolz.

Just playin', maing.

My Sound Splinter 18's each in 25cuft boxes w/ EP2500

Comment

• Dennis H
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2002

Thanks for that, Swerd. Interesting project. I've always had a fondness for the old JBL stuff.

Comment

• SteveSlagle
                • Mar 2005

Most Excellent JBL Crossover Update

Great write up and what a great project. Dennis Murphy is well respected for obvious reasons, and you gave him a worthwhile project. Many Thanks.

Someday I must veener my Dennis Murhphy-Greg Givler designed Usher Bobs (ML TQWT) speakers so I can send out pictures.
                Steve

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"