X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

Downsized Theater??

OK, so I didn't really want to mess with my system, but the size and logistics of my new home may force something to change.

Current System:
    Mains: Martin Logan SL3
    Center: Martin Logan Logos
    Surrounds: Magnepan
    Subs: DIY with RLp-15 and a Bag End Infra18
    FPTV: Sanyo Z4 w/96" screen
    RPTV: Mits 55" CRT
    Pre/pro: Classe SSP25
    Amps: Audio Refinement Multi 3 and Marantz monos

All of this was in a room approx 15x30 with a half vaulted ceiling, 12 ft on one side and 8 on the other.

Problem (or "opportunity"):
    My new house has a large living area, but I need to put the theater in its own home. The only room available is roughly 12x12x9 (yay standing waves). The RPTV will not be included.

I'm thinking about going to a smaller, possibly monitor based system (not concerned with the electronics at this point, though I am thinking about upgrading to something with current technologies). Probably a higher end monitor from B&W (N805), JM Labs, Paradigm Sig, Sonus Faber, etc.

What do you guys think?
    Danish
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I guess the real question is: Could you be happy with a box style speaker? Have you considered the wall mounted offerings from Martin or Maggie?
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

I haven't considered either wall mounting options, but I haven't done much research. I've had several box speakers in the past and enjoyed them as well.
      Danish

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

As long as that setup makes you happy :B Thats all that matters. Think the 805D's would sound ok in the smaller room? Might want to try and find someone that will let you home demo them.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Dan - Yeah, if you like Magnepan and Martin Logan, I'd pick either one or the other, maybe look into wall-mounted versions of them, and then do an entire setup in that brand. Will give you much better sonic matching.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• dyazdani
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

I would think most of the monitors would sound fine, I've heard B&Ws, JM Lab, Sonus, and even some smaller MLs in smallish rooms. I'm really eyeing the JM Lab 1007 BE...
            Danish

Comment

• dyazdani
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
              Dan - Yeah, if you like Magnepan and Martin Logan, I'd pick either one or the other, maybe look into wall-mounted versions of them, and then do an entire setup in that brand. Will give you much better sonic matching.
              Whichever brand I choose, I will get an entire set. I'm not sure that the wall mounted varieties are going to fit the bill...
              Danish

Comment

• dyazdani
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Oct 2005

Although these look interesting...along with the in-wall series

Danish

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Ooo I like those...although not sure they will be comparable to what you have now.

Kind of funny in the picture they are using one of those Panasonic/JVC Class D receivers.

Comment

• dyazdani
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Dougie085
                    Ooo I like those...although not sure they will be comparable to what you have now.
                    That's my issue with anything on the wall, that I've listened to anyway...

I'll just put my existing gear in the new room and see what's what...
                    Danish

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Well the reason I said that is because the normal ML have the open baffle sound. Those are on the wall and probably won't have that sound which I think is half of whats great about the electrostat speakers.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"