X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kid320
    • Oct 2005

Do I need a Line Level Adapter?

I have a Yamaha receiver with 5.1 surround sound hooked to. I just purchased a Clark Synthesis sound transducer along with a AudioSource Amp One/A, which they recommended to me. I am trying to hook the transducer up via mono (bridged) mode on the amp... I am fine with that part. My problem occurs on the amp's input side of things. I am doubling up the front left and front right speaker outputs on my receiver. One set of wires is going to the left and right speaker, respectively, and the other set of wires is going to the amp... or should be.

I thought the amp would accept standard speakers wires as inputs, but all I have are RCA style jacks on the back of the amp. I called RadioShack to see if they sold Line Level Adapters, and the person there said I could just solider RCA ends onto the speaker wire and plug them in. I think she is wrong... actually, I am almost SURE she is wrong. So, do I need a line level adapter, or is the person at RadioShack right? Where can I get a line level adapter at a brick and mortar store? I can order one online, but I want to try and get this hooked up tonight.

I have 4 wires going from the receiver to the amp (Left +, -; Right +, -). I only have 2 inputs on the back of the amp. Can I double up my positives and negatives, or will that blow something?

I know I sound like a total idiot... that is because I am, but it is also why I am asking questions. Your help is greatly appreciated.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

The person at Radio Shack was wrong. Can get a line-level converter at most car stereo stores or probably even Walmart.

You probably need to run an RCA cable from your subwoofer output though. With a 5.1 setup, most of the signal you want going to the transducer isn't going to come out of the front speaker output.

If you're not running a sub right now, then that's different.

Kevin D.

Comment

• kid320
      • Oct 2005

I will check with Wal-Mart and/or Best Buy. I do have a Sub hooked up, and I could take the signal from there. The thing is, I do not what to cut off my higher sound frequencies. It was recommended to me that I hook the transducer up via the left and right speaker outputs by Clark Synthesis so I didn't lose those higher frequencies. Is there a way to hook up the two speakers and the subwoofer all to the input of the amp? Would that even be worth it?

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Let me know what model Yamaha you have and I'll let you know.

Kevin D.

Comment

• kid320
          • Oct 2005

It is a Yamaha RX-V800. Thanks for offering to help, I appreciate it.

Comment

• impala454
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2007

They do not sell LOCs at Best Buy or Walmart. At least not the ones around where I live. I did find them at the local car stereo shop though as Kevin suggested.
            -Chuck

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by kid320
              It is a Yamaha RX-V800. Thanks for offering to help, I appreciate it.
              Probably best to get the line-level converter and hook it up like you planned. It will have 4 wires on the input and then two RCA outs.

On you receiver under speaker setup, set BASS OUTPUT to BOTH. This will send the .1 sub information to the fronts as well as the sub output.

Kevin D.

Comment

• kid320
                • Oct 2005

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking to do. By the way, it feels amazing hooked to the sub output. A friend of mine requested she have a few moments alone with my bed and some Barry White music. So, I guess it works as it should. :lol:

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"