Can someone recommend a great performance/price HT speakers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jjahshik32
    • Sep 2007

Can someone recommend a great performance/price HT speakers?

I already own a pair of 805s and a htm4 as the fronts but due to budgeting and downsizing I'm thinking about selling the 3 for about $3000 and looking for the front left/right/middle around $500-600 that performance great.

I already have a yamaha v861/rotel RA-985BX.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Well "great" for 3 channels for $500-$600 compared to 805's might be tricky

That said, there's the used market of all the quality brands... B&W, Kef, Energy, PSB etc.. as well as their lower tiered product ranges to choose from if you want new. Another option is the internet direct companies as well.
    Jason

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Another option to consider is Anthony Gallo's spherical speakers - surpirisingly good sound from a (generally) discreet design.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• jjahshik32
        • Sep 2007

I see alot of those 5.1 channel systems from best buy in the price range of $400-$500. Are they any good?

For example I found a Sony - BRAVIA 1000W 5.1-Ch. Home Theater System w/ 5-Disc Upconvert DVD Player will that go well with my sony bravia xbr4?

Comment

• impala454
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2007

I don't think you'll find a lot of HTIB fans on here, but depending on the experience you want from your home theater and "level" you want to take it to, they can be a decent start.

Although I'd imagine going from Rotel equipment and nice speakers down to a Sony HTIB would be quite the step down.
          -Chuck

Comment

• jjahshik32
            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by impala454
            I don't think you'll find a lot of HTIB fans on here, but depending on the experience you want from your home theater and "level" you want to take it to, they can be a decent start.

Although I'd imagine going from Rotel equipment and nice speakers down to a Sony HTIB would be quite the step down.
            Yea... I'm expecting a huge step down but I need the money these days..

Do you guys think that a pair of brand new mint condition 805s would sell for $2200? Or if anyone is interested pm me.

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

I think you'd bet better off with a decent pair of book shelves and a receiver than a cheap 5.1 HTIB system personally.
              Jason

Comment

• jjahshik32
                • Sep 2007

Originally posted by aud19
                I think you'd bet better off with a decent pair of book shelves and a receiver than a cheap 5.1 HTIB system personally.
                Maybe I'll downgrade to the B&W 685? Those are pretty nice speakers for the $$.

I just listened to the speakers on demo at best buy.. and again at the 805s... I'm going to stick with my 805s and make it work. I think I'll sell some of my other toys :T

Comment

• deke
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by jjahshik32
                  Maybe I'll downgrade to the B&W 685? Those are pretty nice speakers for the $$.

I just listened to the speakers on demo at best buy.. and again at the 805s... I'm going to stick with my 805s and make it work. I think I'll sell some of my other toys :T
                  In no way are they comparable to the 8 series, but the B&W 6 series are a good bang for the buck.

Comment

• H.T.C
                    • Nov 2003

The satellite speaker (5 speakers) system from klipsch RSX-3 for $649.99 and RW-10d powered sub with digital controls for $499.99

Its cost is a bit more than $600.00 but just incase you want to go higher.

The klipsch RB-61 bookshelf speakers 6.5 inch woofer...1inch titanium dome tweeter $449.99 per pair and RC-62 center channel speaker for $449.99.
                    Robert

Comment

• jjahshik32
                      • Sep 2007

thanks alot for the advice.. Im curious if the 685's is a better choice than the klipsch that you recommended. I can get a pair of 685's brand new at my local dealers for $600 but Ive seen the klipsch that you recommended on ebay brand new for $300..

Comment

• audioqueso
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Nov 2004

Are you talking about the Nautilus 805 or 805S? Nautilus 805 for $2200 = No way. 805S = maybe. They are used, and even though it's for a little bit, it's used.
                        B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• deke
                          • Dec 2005

To my ears, the Klipsch sound more bright than the B&W 6 series. They are fine speakers, but I found them fatiguing.

Comment

• N2siast
                            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by jjahshik32
                            Yea... I'm expecting a huge step down but I need the money these days..

Do you guys think that a pair of brand new mint condition 805s would sell for $2200? Or if anyone is interested pm me.

I will trade you a pair of 685's for the 805's

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

FWIW, I'm personally looking at the SVS speakers right now, which are supposed to be pretty good. Their low-end line looks alright, but I'm considering the mid-grade for a living room setup, which seems to be a decent price/performance point.
                              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                              - Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

The new Emotiva speakers are out now I believe and they are supposed to be pretty good too for the cost.

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                  • Sep 2007

Ive decided to keep the 805s.. everytime I listen to them.. I just DONT WANT TO SELL THEM!

I sold a apple mac pro 2.8Ghz 8 core model to cover the expense.. actually got more $$ from that than selling the 805s. Now I'm thinking about getting a mcintosh power amp.

Comment

• N2siast
                                    • Sep 2007

I was looking forward to the trade

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                      • Sep 2007

Actually I sold the 805S and bought the 685 for my fronts and they work very nicely and the extra added bass is a bonus! -D

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"