Worth buying a Arcam AVP700 or the latest Yamaha 3800 with HD-DTS/Dolby?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SoundEngine355
    • Feb 2008

Worth buying a Arcam AVP700 or the latest Yamaha 3800 with HD-DTS/Dolby?

:M I've found a second hand Arcam AVP700 which is about the same price as a new Yamaha 3800. Just wondering which is going to have the better sound?

The Arcam would be powered by a Rotel 1075 to B&W 600 series speakers.
    SoundEngine355

-------------------
    [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15
  • Martyn
    • Feb 2006

I would hope that the Arcam would, although I haven't compared that particular model. You might try the Arcam forum at AVS.
    Last edited by Staff; 22 April 2008, 16:51 Tuesday. Reason: Martyn, I edited your post because, links to other forums are not allowed.

Comment

• dtb300
      • Apr 2007

I compared the AVP-700 vs a Yamaha RX-V1400. I now own the Arcam. Sound was far superior IMO and the video was even better - which was not a requirement for me as I was looking for improvements in SACD MCH playback over the Yamaha. I did a review which is posted here somewhere and is found by doing a search - remember SEARCH is your friend...

Every processor has an affect on the sound both in processing and 5.1 pass-through (yes even with pass-through), so each person needs to listen to see which they like better.
      Last edited by dtb300; 22 April 2008, 21:47 Tuesday.

Comment

• bluepearl
        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by dtb300
        I compared the AVP-700 vs a Yamaha RX-V1400. I now own the Arcam. Sound was far superior IMO and the video was even better - which was not a requirement for me as I was looking for improvements in SACD MCH playback over the Yamaha. I did a review which is posted here somewhere and is found by doing a search - remember SEARCH is your friend...
        Funny, because I just replaced my RX-V1400 with the AVP700 and I prefer the Yamaha! The Arcam has good detail but to me it sounds a little to digital and lacks depth, the sound stage seems to narrow and the bass is thin. Ideally I would like to combine the virtues of both units, the detail of the arcam with the warmth and spaciousness of the Yamaha.

I would like to solve these issues with the Arcam, not sure if a software upgrade would help or not, I am surprised that I don't like it, I was sure it would be a hit, anyone else have a similar experience?

Comment

• dtb300
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by bluepearl
          Funny, because I just replaced my RX-V1400 with the AVP700 and I prefer the Yamaha! The Arcam has good detail but to me it sounds a little to digital and lacks depth, the sound stage seems to narrow and the bass is thin. Ideally I would like to combine the virtues of both units, the detail of the arcam with the warmth and spaciousness of the Yamaha.

I would like to solve these issues with the Arcam, not sure if a software upgrade would help or not, I am surprised that I don't like it, I was sure it would be a hit, anyone else have a similar experience?
          So you found the Yamaha, using no tone controls (Direct, etc.) to be warmer sounding than the Arcam???

For me the Yammy was definitely brighter and had an edge and graininess to the sound. But again, as in my review about it and the Yammy, I was using the 5.1 pass-through for the majority of my comparison and testing.

I remember also finding the audio processing when watching movies (Coax or Toslink) to be superior too.

Synergy between components, cables, power, etc. is a big thing on how a particular component sounds.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"