X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yourtoys7
    • Feb 2006

HT setup with out the sub?

Just wondering if any one has tryed or at least what they think of having no sub. I recently added 2ch amp. and set my fronts to large (while having sub off) and was pleasantly surpriced on how well it sounded.
    Now wondering if front and back would be large speakers with proper amp.s and enuph power, how well would it work?
    Sony AT 150" 16x9 screen
    PSB T6,
    Velodyne SPL 1000R
    Rotel RSX-1057
    Rotel RB-1070
    OPPO 103
    Apple TV
    [
  • AtleDreier
    • Feb 2008

Depends on the sub, really. If it's not up to the job in the first place then I'd leave it. If it's a halfway decent sub I'd have it, no question.

Comment

• Blindamood
      • Sep 2003

To me, the difference the sub makes is in feeling the movie/music, more than just hearing it. I recently sold my sub (due to a move), and while I enjoy my system as it is (all set to large), there is definitely something missing. The other side of it is the load on your amp; when you set the speakers to Small and use a sub, the amp is not being worked as hard, and will usually produce cleaner sound in the higher ranges. Subs definitely serve a purpose, and the task should be left them whenever possible (IMHO).
      Brad

Comment

• kgveteran
        • Oct 2005

An accuurate subwoofer will enhance the experience. I use smallish mains and surrounds, so it's part of the frequency response of the system, I rolloff at 100hz....plus...I gotta have 'em.

KG
        Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !

Comment

• yourtoys7
          • Feb 2006

at times with sub it doesn't seem to in synergy. It almost sounds like little too later or too hard and not hard enuph, but once speakers were set to large it was lilke wow it works very well (not as strong or as powerfull). I'm still playing with setup and placemant of the sub, will see.
          Sony AT 150" 16x9 screen
          PSB T6,
          Velodyne SPL 1000R
          Rotel RSX-1057
          Rotel RB-1070
          OPPO 103
          Apple TV
          [

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
            • Aug 2001

Just wondering if any one has tryed or at least what they think of having no sub. I recently added 2ch amp. and set my fronts to large (while having sub off) and was pleasantly surpriced on how well it sounded.
            Sounds like a room/setup/sub problem. Sometimes a sub can reveal room issues that the mains, having less bass/extension, won't.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"