X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JeffG.
    • Feb 2008

So, here's where I am

First - thanks for the forum.

So here's what I have and where I'd like to go. I currently am a two-channel guy who wants to go to 5. Right now I run either of the two amps depending on what I want to listen to.

Most likely I will swap out the Technics for a 5 channel or some type of 3 channel amp and I'd like 200 per side in the front. I do like the Hafler and will use it to either drive the back pair or a sub.

Sony SXRD KDS60
    Sony DVP-NS77H
    Carver C1
    Technics SE-A5MK2
    Hafler 9303 Transnova
    JBL LX500

For rears I am looking at Zaphs SR71's. I like the idea of the crossover preassembled as it will save me time and headaches. The enclosure will be built here, I have a well-equippeded woodshop. I would like to replace the JBLs with these as well but I have to see how the money works out.

The preamp is really the question at the moment. I have always leaned towards music reproduction, but honestly the system is used 90% of the time for A/V. We only watch the tv about 6-8 hours per week, but it would be nice to really shake the house :B

So what would be a good preamp for a budget of say $600 and in the pre-owned market?

I will post a diagram of the room a bit later. The placement is a bit ugly - but not terrible. The killer is the rears will have to hang from the ceiling and I may get a bit of horn loading from the position.
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Jeff, hope you are still lurking around. Are you looking for 5.1 or more?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Jed
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Apr 2005

Just so you know, you can have madisound or meniscus assemble ANY crossover for you if you give them schematic. Meniscus charges $1 per part to mount and solder it in a crossover and they do very nice work. Everything is labeled. That might open up a LOT more possibilities for you. :B

Jed

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"