Really simple problem - how do I plug speakers into my amp?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pace3000
    • Nov 2007

Really simple problem - how do I plug speakers into my amp?

So, dealer came round yesterday to set up the Onkyo TX-SR805 amp and B&W 804S speakers. It was only then that he revealed that the cables were not included in the sales order, and I'd have to come in and buy some. Arguments aside, I've now just collected some Atlas Hyper Bi-Wire, with connectors similar to the below:

They fit perfectly into the speakers, but the (identical) connectors at the other end don't fit into the Onkyo amp... am I making a silly mistake here? I'd just love to get them going tonight, as if I wait on my dealer tomorrow it'll be the weekend before I get into it

Thanks if you can help me out tonight!
  • rick c
    • Aug 2004

I may be off here but those dont look like bi-wire ,they look like regular speaker wire.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2006

Your dealer is an ass. Considering what you purchased, regardless of discount, he should have included generic cables or even tried to sell you fancy ones. Go to HomeDepot (or similar) and buy appropriate lengths of 14ga. generic speaker wire.

Kal
      Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Glen B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Pace3000
        the (identical) connectors at the other end don't fit into the Onkyo amp... am I making a silly mistake here?
        Could it be that the plugs are a tight fit and need a little extra effort on your part ? I have no problems using various banana plugs with my Onkyo receiver. I see no reason why any standard size plugs should not fit your SR-805. All Onkyo receiver models spanning the past few years seem to use the same type binding post.
        Last edited by Glen B; 15 December 2007, 14:41 Saturday.

Comment

• Alloroc
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Pace3000
          So, dealer came round yesterday to set up the Onkyo TX-SR805 amp and B&W 804S speakers. It was only then that he revealed that the cables were not included in the sales order, and I'd have to come in and buy some. Arguments aside, I've now just collected some Atlas Hyper Bi-Wire, with connectors similar to the below:

They fit perfectly into the speakers, but the (identical) connectors at the other end don't fit into the Onkyo amp... am I making a silly mistake here? I'd just love to get them going tonight, as if I wait on my dealer tomorrow it'll be the weekend before I get into it

Thanks if you can help me out tonight!

This might be a daft question but did you remove the little black and red plastic caps on the cable sockets on the back of the Onkyo?!
          Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• DL86
            • Sep 2005

14 ga generic cable off ebay works like a dream. Gets the power from my rotel 1090 amp to my paradigms with no problem. (confirmed after numb feeling in the ears)

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"