X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pookie007
    • Apr 2006

KEF Wireless System

Has anyone used the Kef wireless system for their rear speakers. the system consists of a transmitter and two receivers that operate in the 2.4GHz range. I think the suggested retail is around $600. I play audio in 2 channel, so this would only be used for HT applications. I think the $600 might be a small price to pay to eliminate my wife's constant reminder of the cables that don't fit into her design scheme.
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Never heard them. However, I have yet to read or hear anyone in the HT endorse their use.
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Pookie007
      • Apr 2006

I haven't heard anything about them ether. I don't know if the product if really new or really crap. A coworker just bought a set of KEFs and when he was showing me the model on their website I saw the tab for them. I was curious about price so did a search on Amazon and they showed up at Vann's for $600.

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Sorry, I should have explained myself better (my wife was talking to me as I was attempting to type with two fingers :B ).

KEF's are great speakers. The issue is with the wireless systems. Every report or review that I've read about wireless speakers in an Home Theater capacity were less than satisfactory. Too much interference causing different issues to occur.

That said, I've heard nothing about the Kef wireless system. If they have a good return policy, why not give them a shot?
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Pookie007
          • Apr 2006

I agree that I have never heard anything good about wireless speakers in the past. KEF did this a little different. You use the system with your existing speakers. Now that I think about it, I don't think this would be an acceptable solution. The wireless transmitter connects next to your audio equipment and the receivers are located at the speakers. I don't know how the amplification is provided. I assume they have a built in amp that is probably a significant step down from the Parasound Halo I am currently using. An ideal solution would be something that transmits the output from the processor through the wireless receive that could be connect to an amp located in the back of my room. For $600 you can get some pretty nice speaker cable. I think for $200 I would give it a shot but the suggested retail makes this seem a little cost prohibitive as an experiment.

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I concur. $600 could get you a set of nice speakers for rears from several mfg's. The convience of wireless speakers, has been attractive for many years. But like you've stated, most people with mid to upper level gear like yourself, would just be doing a disservice to the current gear owned. But man, when someone gets it right... :nos:

Comment

• sirbogey
              • Mar 2006

I never to listened to them either, but have seen them in the shop. I did own Sennheisers wireless headphones for a month, but the amount of intereference was quite big, really big. I can't imagine they solved the interference problem, if they did $600 sounds reasonable.

Comment

• Pookie007
                • Apr 2006

This isn't for the speakers. The $600 if only for the transmitter and receivers only. You still have to provide a set of speakers to connect the system to.

Comment

• Azeke
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2003

I would also be leary of any wireless devices utilizing the 2.4GHz frequency, especially if you have a wireless router or phones utilizing that frequency. I have actually switched all my wireless phones to the DECT 6.0 standard (1.9GHz frequency), works beautifully.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"