X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nick.h
    • Jan 2006

Question: Optical VS RCA/XLR for Audio

Hi,

I current use an optical connection from my DVD player to my A/V Reciever. It also supports RCA connections for each channel.

Is there any benifit in using RCA over optical?

I know if you use seperates from a processor it uses RCA/XLR to the amplifier for each channel.

Does using optical cause it to loose quality?

Has anyone changed from Optical to RCA/XLR?
  • riceaterslc
    • Aug 2006

unless you want to listen to multi-channel music (ex SACD) you will be fine with the digital output. the only other advantage to switching to analog i see is if your DVD player or AVR has some sort of sound (bass) management with the analog inputs/outputs.
    chris

Comment

• nick.h
      • Jan 2006

I see.

When using seperate pre/pro why is it that most people use RCA/XLR over optical?

Is it becuase the signal going to the amplifier needs to be converted to anolog?

Comment

• riceaterslc
        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by nick.h
        When using seperate pre/pro why is it that most people use RCA/XLR over optical?
        because that is the most common, if not only, way to send signal from the pre/pro to the amp. i have never seen digital connections between amps and processors.
        chris

Comment

• Brandon B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2001

There are a very few amps out that are digital and can receive the signal in digital form. I think B&O actually has some speakers with amps like these in them.

Most amps do only have analog inputs though.

BB

Comment

• bigburner
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

Hi Nick,

This is a really important issue so I hope that someone more knowledgeable than I am will step in if I've got this wrong.

My understanding is that the RCA connections for each channel on your DVD player can potentially produce a higher grade audio signal because the signal is not being restricted by DRM.

If you use the optical or digital coax connection from your DVD player to your A/V receiver, material like DVD-Audio, HDCD, and DTS tracks which can contain 24/96Khz audio information will not be transferred to the receiver because of DRM. You will only receive 16/48Khz audio information.

If any member out there can point us to a document that explains all of this then I for one would be most appreciative.

Nigel.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"