X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob Santos
    • Mar 2001

It's time for a new toy (pre/pro)

Hey guy's,
    It's been a loooong time since I have posted.
    I haven't done anything to my system in a few years.
    I recently bought a Xbox 360 with the HD-dvd drive. Last night while watching King Kong I realized that I some how managed to keep my compulsive HT gear buying syndrome in submission for years. So of coarse by the end of the movie I convinced myself that there is no way I can live without buying a new preamp proccessor.
    I have been using a Outlaw 950 for quite a whle. I bought the Outlaw to use while I was between proccessors, and never ended up replacing it.
    I did some reading today, and came up with a short list. So far the units I am considering are:
    Arcam AVP700
    B&K Reference 50 ( I had a Ref 30 for a while, and loved it)
    Emotiva DMC-1 ( Looks like a great piece for the money)
    Anthem AVM-30 ( will have to buy this one used)

These will be powered buy a pair of Citation 7.1 amps, driving Dynaudio Audience 82 speakers.

What else in the $2000 or under range should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance,
    Bob
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Gee Bob, we'd have to try and talk you out of that trading stuff. You know, the sensible thing to do.

hahaha, had you going. I'm sure these guys can come through with some recommendations. Sherwood Newcastle has a nice piece either coming, or already here, have to let the guys comment on that. That's one-

Welcome back fellow, I had to do a double take when I saw the name!
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• riceaterslc
      • Aug 2006

have you considered another outlaw unit? (990)
      chris

Comment

• Bob Santos
        • Mar 2001

Hey Doug, Good to see ya!

I haven't given the Outlaw 990 a good look yet.
        The more I research I am learning that now isn't the best time to shop for a processor.
        The smart thing would probably be to wait until more units with HDMI support come out. HDMI isn't a issue for me currently, but I'm sure it will be in the future.
        So with that in mind I will looking for something with the knowledge that I will probably want replace it in a year or so. That makes something in the Outlaw 990 price range a wise choice. With all that in mind I will probably like to keep it under $1500.00.
        Also I didnt mention in the first post. I use my system mostly for HT. Maybe 90% HT 10% 2ch.

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
          • May 2004

Hi Bob,
          Just curious what the 950 is lacking for you at this stage if HDMI is not important. I currently use the 950 and love it for ht. For 2 channel I use Krell preamps and seperate dacs, but the Outlaw seems to fit the bill. Other than some newer surround formats, balanced connections and some bells and whistles, I do not see many HT use pre/pros with that much of an advantage over the 950.
          Steel

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Hey Bob,

I own a Ref 50. And no doubt it's a very solid unit. But as you have realized, buying a pre/pro without HDMI at this stage may not be the best choice. I do think that the Outlaw 990 may hold you over and is a good all around unit. However, I think Doug's suggestion of the Sherwood is the most future proof move at this stage.

It is up todate in just about every area. Unless some unforseen quality issue pops up, it would be my choice if I were in the market now. And the price is very right!
            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

I too vote for the Sherwood gear at this point...too much stuff up in the air right now for really big $$$ gear IMO.
              Jason

Comment

• Bob Santos
                • Mar 2001

Steel,
                The 950 is serving me well currently. I was surprised how well it sounded when I got it. I bought it as a inexpensive piece to hold me over until I decided what I wanted next. I was pretty impressed with what it did for the price and ended up never replacing it. Recently I am in the need for more component inputs. I could live without them, but life would be easier if there were more. It's mostly a matter of wanted a new toy to play with. The past few years have been real busy, and I have'nt done much with my system. Recently I have been missing all the fun I had getting new HT stuff. You are correct though.....The 90 certainly could stay until all the HDMI stuff gets sorted out. I basically just feel like getting something new

John, I really loved my B&K when I had it. That was the one Pre/pro I really missed after I sold it. Buying a used Ref 50 for about a grand and using it for a while is one option I am thinking of. Knowing how much I loved my Ref 30, the 50 is a safe bet.

As for the Sherwood....I cant seem to locate much info on it. Does anyone have a link
                where I can find some info? What is the model number?

Thanks guy's !!

Comment

• whoaru99
                  • Jul 2004

An Anthem now and the video/scaler update later on...
                  There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• DSGCobra
                    • Feb 2003

^^ I agree the 30 now and then upgrade it to the AVM 50 later on. I just replaced a Rotel 1098 with an AVM 50 amazing is all I can say about that processor.

Comment

• Bob Santos
                      • Mar 2001

Thanks guy's,
                      The Anthem does seem like a great choice.
                      Any idea what the cost of the upgrade will be?

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
                        • May 2004

Hi Bob,
                        The Anthem gear is nice stuff. It may serve your upgrade bug for a while. Good luck.
                        Steel

Comment

• DSGCobra
                          • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Bob Santos
                          Thanks guy's,
                          The Anthem does seem like a great choice.
                          Any idea what the cost of the upgrade will be?
                          to make an AVM 30 an AVM 50 is $1700. I think they call it AVM 30 MKII.

Comment

• Bob Santos
                            • Mar 2001

With the upgrade being $1700 I'm not sure I will buy a AVM30 with the idea of upgrading it in the future. The cost of the upgrade is the same as the price difference between the 30, and 50. When that time comes I would probably want to sell the 30 and replace it with a 50, or whatever else is on the market at that time.
                            I called my local Anthem dealer. They dont have any on display to listen to, everything is special order. So if I go with the Anthem I will have to buy it without hearing it first. At that point I may as well purchase a used on and save some money.
                            So it seems that whatever I buy will be bought with the mindset of replacing it in a year or so.
                            My top choices so far are.

Anthem AVM-30:
                            I have always wanted to try a Anthem. The reputation is excellent, and can be upgraded if I choose to.

Outlaw 990:
                            The 950 has served me well. I am sure the 990 would do the same. I do think I would like to try a different company however.

Emotiva DMC-1:
                            It seems to get great reviews. I dont know what it is about this one it, but I keep going back to it.

There are a few others, but these are the ones it will probably come down to.

Thanks again

Comment

• DSGCobra
                              • Feb 2003

The 30 with the upgrade is the same as the 50 that is why they cost the same. HDMI, broadcast quality video up scaling the whole nine yards......

Comment

• John Holmes
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Bob,

Look at this thread and click on the link for info on the Sherwood. It is my understanding, their is another model that is around $1 grand msrp as well. Which does almost as much as the $1499.00 one.

"I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Bob Santos
                                  • Mar 2001

I've pretty much decided on the AVM-30.
                                  There are a couple of used ones to be had for about $2000.00.
                                  I am going to go see my local dealer on Monday. He did say he would discount it for me.
                                  Depending on the price difference I may buy new.

The one's on Audigon are listed as $2000 obo.
                                  What do you think a fair offer would be?

Thanks again

Comment

• Boone38
                                    • Dec 2004

Bob,

I was in the same boat as you a few weeks ago. I was looking at the Rotel 1098, Arcam, Outlaw and a used Anthem AVM30. My dealer here ( 75 miles away one way) only had the 30 on display and would not discount it. I then tried to buy used and saw that most sell very quickly. I was very fortunate to call on a used one that a dealer had. He talked me into buying new for a great discount. Almost the cost of a used one.

I also spent allot of time on the phone with Nick at Athem to learn more about the upgrades. The cost is $1700.00. But the upgrades are HUGE. It will be badged as a 50 not a 30 mkII. I bought the 30 as the sound is sooooo much greater then the others I was looking at. I had a Rotel 1068 prior. I can tell you that I have had mine only a few days and am very impressed of the build and sound quality.

I personally do not need the video switching that is why I went with the 30. But as the need may arise I wanted to keep my options open. I have my 30 paired with a Classe Cav 75 amp and B & W 804s, HTM4 center and the sound rstage is very impressive. I could not believe the difference over the Rotel, Arcam and the Outlaw.

Good Luck.

Comment

• Bob Santos
                                      • Mar 2001

Boome, Thanks for all the info.
                                      I have been doing alot of reading about the AVM series, and it definately seems like the way for me to go.
                                      There are a couple of them on Audiogon currently. Depending on what my local dealer comes up with price wise I may buy used. We'll see what happens tomorrow.
                                      The dealer only special order's them, and doesn't have any there. He did say he would discount it for me, but I dont know how much yet.

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"