X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lectoid
    • Jan 2007

Best Receiver under $300

I just blew all my money on B&W 603s3's so now I only have about 300 left. I have a Pioneer VSX-D514 currently, but it only has one optical input. I need two. 5.1 is fine for me, I don't even have a center channel yet. Yea I have problems. I wasn't looking to build a 5.1, but now I just need a center and I'll have the 5 part.

I should note that a third of my budget is in Best Buy gift cards. Christmas, what can I do.

Should I try to sell my current Receiver and "upgrade"? I really don't watch a lot of movies on this, which is why I can live with out a center. Most of it's use is music and video games on the Xbox360, which is 5.1.

Thanks.
  • clearwaterms
    • Nov 2006

well, to be honest with you anytyhing you buy at best buy can be bought at a significant savings online... as for best reciever sub $300, The VSX-816 from pioneer is the one I have upstairs and I like the sound quality. It is mated to the athena micra 5 and is has been rated very highly throughout the board. I picked it up at circuit city for $260.

Looking for an entry level home theater system? This is what we recommend for $1000. It will keep you from getting ripped off by the big box stores and deliver more than the average home theater in a

The yamaha HTR-5960 is also well regarded at $300 plus shipping on ebay.

secondly the Pioneer isn't going to fetch mutch on the used market, a quick ebay scan netted sub $100 prices... To me it would make more sense to stick the pioneer out in a garage / basement / workshop with some basic speakers instead of selling it.

so if I were you I would stick with pioneer and save up more money until you have enough to buy into a better reciever. something from yamaha's RX line, or the like.

finally, spend the $100 best buy gift cards on CD's and xbox games and save up cash for a reciever, it gives you alot more options, including used / ebay / etc...

Comment

• peterS
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

try to find a old yamaha 5890 from best buy

many still have one laying around- probably a display
      fantastic audio quality
      it is the same as the 5990 w/o hdmi switching at a much cheaper price

i kick myself for not buying one

try try try to find one

if you want a temporary one the insignia stuff is build pretty solid
      here is one of the 2 channel one i used while my amp was being repaired
      they have a defeatable preamp and amp so you can use it as just a pree or an amp to supliment individual upgrades

Comment

• june
        • Feb 2005

Yamaha 657

Save a few more $$ and find Yamaha RX-V657.
        June
        "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• Vinny
          • Mar 2006

If you don't plan on upgrading into separate and take it as a processor in the future, go for Panny's XR-55. Otherwise might think about Denon 1800 series and see if you can get one for around that price
          Pioneer KRP-500M
          Emotiva UMC-1
          Parasound 5125
          Oppo BDP-83
          Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
          SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• Lectoid
            • Jan 2007

I think I am going to try to sell the gift cards so I can get more for my money online. Any good suggestions on where to purchase receivers online? I am pretty internet savy, but if anyone has had good experience, then let me know.

EDIT: Right after I hit submit, I remembered audiogon.

Comment

• clearwaterms
              • Nov 2006

audiogon / ecoustics.com is a price grabber like site...

Comment

• joetama
                • May 2006

I have used a RX-V Receiver with B&W products before and have had great results.

Try to deal with the Pioneer for now then get the Yamaha....
                -Joe

Comment

• Lectoid
                  • Jan 2007

I've noticed this before, but where exactly are receivers. I see at least three categories where they could be placed. I know to use the search function, but that relies on the poster using the right terminology.

EDIT: On audiogon's site that is. I failed to refer to that.

Comment

• blownrx7
                    • Dec 2004

Look under both Home Theater: Processors AND Misc: Receivers
                    Audiogon doesn't have a Receiver category
                    Personally I would chec k the two categories above first then use the search function and punch in Receiver.
                    Good luck.

Comment

• june
                      • Feb 2005

Audiogon's Receiver Category

June
                      "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"