X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Preacher
    • Dec 2006

Receiver upgrade?

I don't fully understand all the reciever specs and decoding available. Right now I have this Technics SA - AX540

Shopping.com is a leading price comparison site that allows you shop online for the best deals and lowest prices. You can read unbiased product reviews and compare prices online. Online shopping has never been as easy!

I'm looking at this one

Marantz, Yamaha, KEF, Focal, Polk, Def Tech, Denon, Home Theater, Speakers, Receivers, HDMI, Onkyo, Pioneer

(onkyo) and wondering if it'd be an upgrade; the amp section of the technics is clean. I don't want to loose real solid power for the decoding, but I can't afford much more.
  • Preacher
    • Dec 2006

nevermind they seem to be gone now

Comment

• maseline_98
      • Apr 2005

if you post what you are willing to spend....there is a ton of people on here that would be more than happy to give you some suggestions....

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
      Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

Comment

• Preacher
        • Dec 2006

I don't want to spend much more than 100 dollars if I can get a good deal; if not I'll just wait till next year and increase my budget. I've got a technics which has a good sound based on a seemingly good amp section. I'd really just like to find a reasonably priced decoder to feed into the 5 channel inputs on my receiver.

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Preacher,

There are a few options. You could get a dvd player that has built-in decoding. Then feed that to your existing rcvr. You could also check out Sherwood. I owned their entry level 5.1 unit a few yrs ago. It was an excellent sounding unit. Just lacked the bells and whistles of the upper models. It was about $114.00 then. There is also the used market. A ton of great products at very resonable cost (audiogon, ebay, etc.). I also always see very good deals at pawn shops. It is not uncommon for them to have a few 5.1 units on hand between $99-$125.00
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Preacher
            • Dec 2006

I've decided to buy a new receiver and I've got a budget of around 160-170. I'll buy refurb, if its a reputable source, but nothing used (tired of shoestring setups).

I love to listen to music and have a good amp in my current receiver so in that area I don't want to downgrade. I'm not seriously concerned with bells and whistles, but just want solid electronics. I know about some of the technical gymnastics makers do to get better numbers on their products in the amplifiers, but I don't really know who does what. I'm not really familiar with what is important on the digital side. My only real reason for upgrading is to get into digital decoding for movies. I have a small room and 5.1 is sufficient, but a few of these models are 6.1 or 7.1 (good price and seemingly good specs)

I've started a list of receivers I'm going to be looking at if anyone has positive experience with these please let me know. If I should toss any of these out of the mix immediatly let me know why. I'm all ears.

Pioneer VSX-516
            JVC RX-D205
            Denon AVR-685S
            Sony STR-DG500
            Yamaha HTR-5930
            Yamaha HTR-5830
            Motorola DCP-501
            ONKYO TXSR504

Comment

• Ovation
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

I'd consider the Pioneer, Denon, Yamaha and Onkyo on that list, with a preference for the Denon or Onkyo (I've owned a Denon receiver and my current one is an Integra--based on Onkyo). That's from my personal experience (I've also owned a Pioneer stereo receiver and two of my friends are very happy with their Yamaha gear).

Comment

• Arneson
                • Jan 2006

I have been using the Denon AVR881 and can only complain about the inputs and outputs. I have added four additional inputs and four additional outputs, until I find a bigger Denon.
                For example, this has only two optical inputs and I need four, or at least three and an rca digital.
                Jim

Comment

• whoaru99
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Preacher
                  I've decided to buy a new receiver and I've got a budget of around 160-170. I'll buy refurb, if its a reputable source, but nothing used (tired of shoestring setups).

I love to listen to music and have a good amp in my current receiver so in that area I don't want to downgrade. I'm not seriously concerned with bells and whistles, but just want solid electronics. I know about some of the technical gymnastics makers do to get better numbers on their products in the amplifiers, but I don't really know who does what. I'm not really familiar with what is important on the digital side. My only real reason for upgrading is to get into digital decoding for movies. I have a small room and 5.1 is sufficient, but a few of these models are 6.1 or 7.1 (good price and seemingly good specs)

I've started a list of receivers I'm going to be looking at if anyone has positive experience with these please let me know. If I should toss any of these out of the mix immediatly let me know why. I'm all ears.

Pioneer VSX-516
                  JVC RX-D205
                  Denon AVR-685S
                  Sony STR-DG500
                  Yamaha HTR-5930
                  Yamaha HTR-5830
                  Motorola DCP-501
                  ONKYO TXSR504
                  Add the Pansonic XR-55 to your list. You should be able to find a refurb unit that is close to your price range. Features are not all that spectacular, but the power ratings are realistic, has the basics, and it sounds pretty darn good, IMO.
                  There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"