X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

Speaker Stands - Basic ?'s

I have always had tower speakers but just decided to jump on a pair of NHT Classic Three bookshelf speakers. Now I need some sort of speaker stand -a topic I know nothing about.

A few questions if you don't mind...

The NHT Classic Three is 13.75" tall. What size stand should I get? I was thinking around 24" to put the speaker about 3 feet off the ground but I really have no idea. Is there a general rule of thumb for matching stands?

How does the speaker mate to the stand? Do they simply rest on the stand? Or is there some sort of mount system to secure the speaker to the stand? I have 2 cats who enjoy jumping on every new object in the house. I would hate to come home and find my shiny new NHT's had crashed to the floor.

What material should my stands be constructed of? Wood stands seem to be inexpensive but so light weight that I can't imagine them being capable supports or any help in deadening vibration.

Finally, any recommendations on where to shop for good speaker stand deals? I'd like to get a pair for under $100 if possible.

Thanks!
    www.campmurphy.net
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

hmmm, under 100 would be a pretty tall order.

I personally like metal stands with a nice base on them. Check out Lovan Ballet IIs.

congrats on the NHTs.
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Blindamood
      • Sep 2003

Sound Organisation and Target also make solid speaker stands. Both are made of steel, which can be filled with sand or lead shot to increase the weight and density.

As for attaching, you can use rubber feet between the speaker and stand, but that doesn't really connect them. Another option is to use a material like Blu Tack.
      Brad

Comment

• birdman71
        • Nov 2006

Parts Express has some of their Dayton stands on sale right now.
        Their 24" High Mass metal stands are just under $100 right now with free shipping.
        These are sand/lead fillable as well.

Mike

Comment

• WillyD
          • Feb 2006

I 2nd the Dayton High Mass stands. They are reallllly hard to beat for the money.

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Hi ya 'goose! It's good to see ya 'round. :T

I'd go for a hollow leg on the stands, that way (assuming it seals properly) you can fill it with steel shot (lead = bad) or sand or some other deadening substance. That's always a good step. As far as height, you want the tweeters to be right about ear-high when you are in your prime listening spot, so measure that distance and subtract the distance between the tweeter and the bottom of the speaker housing. The remainder will be a good basic measurement for the height for your stand.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

oh, also, I immediately PM'd Sili to chat a bit. He used to be a mainstay at this forum, and Sili and I used to really have some good "bantor" type exchanges between us, right goose?

I miss that.

Doug
              Doug

Comment

• dyazdani
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by birdman71
                Parts Express has some of their Dayton stands on sale right now.
                Their 24" High Mass metal stands are just under $100 right now with free shipping.
                These are sand/lead fillable as well.

Mike
                Can't beat that!
                Danish

Comment

• Amphiprion
                  • Apr 2006

The 24" high mass stands from PE are a no brainer for folks who have seen them. I have a pair myself. You would easily pay 200+ for this kind of stuff elsewhere.

Comment

• dynamowhum
                    • Aug 2006

Excuse me guys but shouldn't he get stands that bring his tweeter up to ear height?

Comment

• dyazdani
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by dynamowhum
                      Excuse me guys but shouldn't he get stands that bring his tweeter up to ear height?
                      The 24" stand should bring the tweeters up to around 33-34", that should be close to ear level, maybe just shy - it depends what he sits on...
                      Danish

Comment

• WillyD
                        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by dyazdani
                        The 24" stand should bring the tweeters up to around 33-34", that should be close to ear level, maybe just shy - it depends what he sits on...
                        Aye, my 24" PE stands bring my Modula MT's tweeters to roughly ear level. :T

Comment

• dynamowhum
                          • Aug 2006

I guess I have a really tall couch because I had to build my bass bins to 30" to get mine to 41" which is ear height seated. I'm 5'8" and the wife is 5'3". When I measured her seated ear height it was 38" so I added a few more for my height.

Comment

• birdman71
                            • Nov 2006

I just measured mine. With both sets of spikes, these stands are actually just over 26". With my Modula MT's, the tweeter center is approx 38 1/2".

They're much better than I expected for the price.

Comment

• SiliGoose
                              • Aug 2000

Thanks for all the help, guys! I'm embarrassed to admit I took the advice about the Parts Express stands and purchased something completely different.

The Parts Express stands sound like they are extremely well built but I couldn't get past the appearance of the area where the base meets the spikes. Silly, I guess.

I went with these: http://www.racksandstands.com/asp/sh...asp?sku=VI1047

Hopefully they'll get here soon. My NHT's arrived today and look really goofy without stands. They sure sound nice though. Excellent detail. I get the feeling the will image quite well too once I get them on stands.

The stands are fillable and I'd like to fill them with something other than sand (messy). Where can I obtain lead shot? Isn't that what is commonly used? Is that something I can get at Home Depot or something? Do they just call it "lead shot"? -or are there other names for it?
                              www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• dyazdani
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Oct 2005

The only place I've looked is at outdoors (guns) stores. After I saw the price, sand was great. Hopefully someone can tell you a better place to get it.
                                Danish

Comment

• SiliGoose
                                  • Aug 2000

After I saw the price, sand was great.
                                  Really? That bad?
                                  www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Lex
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Apr 2001

anything metal costs money and ammo? Just makes it that much more expensive.

how about BB's or pellets in bulk? Really, it depends on the opening, if you can put 6" bolts in there, you may get real heavy bulky stuff to put in, instead of fine stuff.

I would keep the weight in the bottom half, to avoid making them to top heavy.
                                    Doug

Comment

• dyazdani
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Oct 2005

I want to say that a 20lb bag of shot was like $20-30 at the couple of places I looked. You can get a 50lbs of play sand for just a few bucks.
                                      Danish

Comment

• RobP
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Nov 2004

One thing that I would be leary of when it comes to lead is the dust that produced, Sand IMO is a much better option, just make sure that the sand you get is clean and dry.
                                        Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• John Holmes
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

Hey Sili,

Glad to see ya posting again! Nice speakers & stands. I hope they fit your needs.
                                          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• David Meek
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

Sili, go to Walmart and pick up several bulk boxes of BBs. They are steel so you don't have to worry about lead issues. They'll fill the legs more densely (sorry Lex) than bolts and are cheaper than shot (lead or steel), too.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Lex
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Apr 2001

hey, just offering up some suggestions to add weight to make them more stable, moreso than sonics. I also suggested BB's.

Didn't know WM had the bulk boxes of BBs, good suggestion.
                                              Doug

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"