What DVD player goes with the Panasonic AE900U projector?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sirbogey
    • Mar 2006

What DVD player goes with the Panasonic AE900U projector?

I'm getting a Panasonic AE900U projector. What DVD player are you using with it?
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

I bought an Oppo DVDp with my Sanyo Z4. It's inexpensive and is a good performer. Build quality is a little slight, but what can you expect for $200 USD?
    Danish

Comment

• KeithM
      • Oct 2005

I have the pioneer 578a and recommend against it. Try the oppo 971 or if you're risky, try the toshiba a1 8) .

Comment

• rickyo
        • Jul 2006

Value for money get the oppo player but the upconverting from 520p to 720p-1080i will be done thru HDMI connections only(very costly cables in our place). There are other brands of dvd player, the GIEC,NEUNEO or HELLIOS which is a very goop pair for the panny ae900 which upconverts/upscale signals from 520p to 720p-1080i using only component cables.

Comment

• sirbogey
          • Mar 2006

That's what I thought. Besides, since my receiver doesn't have HDMI, I have to use component from all my sources (DVD, cable box, XBOX) to the receiver and then component from receiver to the pj.

Comment

• len73
            • Jan 2005

Hi over there,

I use a Pana 700 together with a Denon 3910 per HDMI (Oelhbach) @720p, and the result is excellent !

Depending on your budget, I would either wait for the 3930 (planed for this fall) or go for the Rotel RDV-1092, an amazing player that would include both an excellent DVD player as well a delicious CD player...

Considering those players, I will strongly suggest you to link the DVD directly to your beamer through an appropriate HDMI cable, and would, therefore, bypassing the intern scaler of your receiver...

Hope this helps...

Len
            Last edited by len73; 19 July 2006, 07:23 Wednesday.

Comment

• Azeke
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2003

Sirbogey,

I am currently using the Pioneer Elite 59AVi via HDMI (79 AVi is the newer model), which provides excellent results. Bang for the buck is the Oppo 971, another recommendation is the Pioneer S97 and of course the Toshiba HD AD-1. I am personally waiting for the standard to be set before purchasing HD-DVD, since I have already invested so much in the Elite player. My thoughts purchase the Oppo 971 at $200.00, since the AE900 doesn't perform 1080p, that being said, I've heard that the Toshiba is a beautiful performer via 1080i (go figure). Just my pennies worth.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• sirbogey
                • Mar 2006

video thru HDMI straight to the pj and what about sound? you guys run them through analog or digital cables thru the receiver/Rotel?

Comment

• len73
                  • Jan 2005

I can use a coax (prefered) or opto (that means digital) directely from the DVD player to the receiver and transmit video on a separate cable...

I use a coax (digital) from DVD to pre-amp for the sound and a HDMI cable to the PJ for video. Quality is therefore much higher with such a config !

Azeke, sorry to interfere, but you probably thought the Panasonic S97, don't you ?

Cheers,

Len

Comment

• sirbogey
                    • Mar 2006

for some reason I thought the HDMI cable was carrying audio as well... or am I correct?

Comment

• sirbogey
                      • Mar 2006

what about lip sync? any delays with that config?

Comment

• len73
                        • Jan 2005

Not really an issue. In my current config there is absolutely no delay at all. But on the other hand, depending on your reciever, this problem could easily be solved, through the lipsync option.

What for a reciever do you plan to use ?

Comment

• sirbogey
                          • Mar 2006

receiver is a Rotel RSX-1055 and current DVD is the RDV 1060.

Comment

• Brandon B
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jun 2001

Oppo has digital audio outs in addition to the HDMI, so they can be run separately.

BB

Comment

• aud19
                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2003

The Oppo's your best bet if you want great PQ for your money. I also agree to connect the HDMI direct to your PJ and coax to the 1055 for audio as well :T

If SQ, particularly CD playback, is important to you and/or you have interest in DVD-A/SACD then there's better options that will give you great PQ and music performance but they'll cost you more than the inexpensive Oppo. Look at units from Denon, Marantz, Rotel etc...

Also as much as I'm against the retarded, unnecessary HD format war...and I loathe recommending first generation components, particularly of a "new" tech.... Toshiba's HD-DVD player is hard to argue with.... it's apparently quite a good upscaling SD-DVD player and adds the ability to play HD discs as well for ~$500....
                              Jason

Comment

• jim777
                                • Mar 2005

I just bought an AE900 and an Oppo 971 ! I'm still waiting for my Draper high-contrast gray screen, but I can already say: WOW!

I think that the oppo will be sitting under the projector and I'll be running a digital coax to my SB Extigy that is sitting next to my McAmp (it is my "dac" for now..). Should be great, can't wait to have everything in place...!!

The oppo will be doing it's thing until the HD war is over

Comment

• Azeke
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2003

Congratulations Jim777, kick back and enjoy.

Let us know how it works out when your new screen arrives.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• earwit
                                    • Jun 2006

I'm using a Pioneer 79avi, into a AE900, works quite well,
                                    Does great for audio and video......

Question what setting do you have the DVD player upconversion
                                    to the AE9000 for optimum results, ( 480i, 480p, 720P, 1080I)
                                    Do you have the AE900 overscan on ????

Bob

Comment

• jim777
                                      • Mar 2005

oppo & pannie settings

Originally posted by earwit
                                      I'm using a Pioneer 79avi, into a AE900, works quite well,
                                      Does great for audio and video......

Question what setting do you have the DVD player upconversion
                                      to the AE9000 for optimum results, ( 480i, 480p, 720P, 1080I)
                                      Do you have the AE900 overscan on ????

Bob
                                      The AE900 has a native resolution of 720p, so the optimum results are obtained by setting the oppo to 720p (using DVI/HDMI). My oppo can't output 480i over DVI. If your DVD player can output 480i over HDMI, then it can be the best setting IF the scaler in the DVD player is worse than the scaler in the AE900.

The whole idea is to avoid scaling the image twice (and choosing the best de-interlacer). The oppo is really great for de-interlacing, I was impressed!

I read that overscan must be OFF for best operation. I don't even know what overscan does on a pixel-based screen..

I played with the oppo and/vs pannie settings the other night. I prefer to have the oppo's Truelife ON, CCS OFF, Noise Reduction OFF and the pannie's in Cinema1 with Noise Reduction OFF and OverScan OFF. The Oppo's "noise reduction" feature does not remove that much MPEG compression noise and it adds some motion artefacts... I guess I'll need an Algolith box for that!
                                      Last edited by jim777; 07 August 2006, 18:10 Monday. Reason: added my preferences

Comment

• earwit
                                        • Jun 2006

Jeff,
                                        Thanks for your info on the pannie...

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"