Marantz SR9600+DV9600 OR Rotel RSX-1067+RDV-1060 ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megarotel
    • May 2006

Marantz SR9600+DV9600 OR Rotel RSX-1067+RDV-1060 ?

What is the best ?

My Dealer suggested Marantz in stead of Rotel, is he right ?

advise is welcome.

MegaRotel
  • gd
    • Jan 2003

Either choice would be great.

The Rotel receiver might have a slight edge in sound quality, but that might be a matter of characteristic and preference... in the most general terms, Rotel might be described as 'detailed and forward', compared to Marantz's 'clear and smooth'... if you're choosing primarily on sound quality, you owe it to yourself to audition both.

An easier choice for me is the Marantz universal player... not only is it a complete universal (the Rotel does not do SACD), but its video section has also recently earned high marks in Secrets' rigorous benchmark testing.

I might be tempted to get the Rotel receiver and Marantz DVD, but if brand-matching was a factor, I'd go with the Marantz... in addition to the DVD comments above, it should be noted that the Marantz SR9600 and DV9600 can be connected via a single iLink connection (all audio, including DVD-A / SACD), which would leave the SR9600's analog Multichannel Input available for the upcoming hi-def DVD players (HD-DVD or BluRay) which you may want to add in the future... note that the iLink connection is only available on the flagship SR9600, and that Rotel features no such single-cable connection that addresses all audio possibilities.

Again, depending on your needs, any combination of the above would make for a top-notch HT.

Happy hunting.
    greg (gd to you)
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
    production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• megarotel
      • May 2006

thanks for the info

Hello Greg,

Thanks for the additional info regrading the ilink of the Marantz, i will plan a listening session with both of them.

MegaRotel ( thinking of changing my name ) :T

Comment

• gonzalc3
        • Jan 2006

I owned the Marantz SR9600 and a friend of mine had the Rotel 1067. We did an A/B comparison with two in my system ( Onkyo DV SP1000 player, and the M&K S150 THX ultra speaker system). The Rotel is a very solid receiver and as mentioned is forward. The SR9600 is slightly different than the previous Marantz receivers, it is by far more detailed than the Rotel, but at the same time it is very musical. Some will say that it is the most bright receiver from Marantz.
        My friend bought the Marantz as well, and a DV9600. In his setup (Kef Q series speakers) we did another A/B comparison and we got the same results as in my setup. He will sell his Rotel and keep the Marantz setup. If you get the Marantz I recommend you use the firewire, it really makes a difference (there is no jitter).
        Chris

My DVD Collection

Comment

• adrian carreon
          • Mar 2006

gonzalc3,

Sorry for badgering here, while I'm reading this thread some words that i'm kind of lost(so ignorance on this terms) like "forward", "bright", "warm" and other word terms. Is there anyone here might show me the way where I can go to learn more on the technical word on A/V line.

Thanks Guys!

Marantz SR8500; RMB-1075 Silver
          Dynaudio Audience 72SE; Audience 122C; Audience 42 & B&W ASW 600
          Samsung DV841; Samsung DLP 50"
          Cobalt Cable Interconnect; Audio Quest & Monster Cable

Comment

• Navy
            • Jan 2006

I have Marantz DV9600. It is paired with Rotel RSP 1068 / RMB 1075, which is about the same (in terms of music character) as the RSX 1067. Have tried Marantz SR9600 for a couple of days before choosing Rotel combo. To my ears Marantz SR9600 was slightly too bright but, above all, it lacked juicy bass. I find my current system both transparent and musical, showing its best at SACD (which Rotel RDV does not play). The cable choice is really vital here, I think. If brand matching is not an issue than maybe Rotel RSX + Marantz DV would OK. Whatever you choose, let yourself a demo session at home for a few days.

Comment

• gonzalc3
              • Jan 2006

"To my ears Marantz SR9600 was slightly too bright but, above all, it lacked juicy bass."

How did you connect the DV9600 to the SR9600?
              Chris

My DVD Collection

Comment

• gd
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by adrian carreon
                some words that i'm kind of lost(so ignorance on this terms) like "forward", "bright", "warm" and other word terms. Is there anyone here might show me the way where I can go to learn more on the technical word on A/V line.
                Good question... those are subjective, qualitative terms often used when discussing audio gear... nothing technical at all about them, as they are used to describe what various gear sounds like... they can even be misleading on several levels -- we all hear differently, our perception of 'brightness' or 'warmth' varies, and sometimes one's description of sound quality directly contrasts with that of another, for the same piece of equipment.

So it's not the most accurate way to communicate, and should not be taken as a substitute for actually listening to the equipment before buying, whenever that's possible.

To get an impression of how these terms are generally perceived, here's a link to a glossary: https://www.audiolinks.com/glossary.shtml
                greg (gd to you)
                Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• adrian carreon
                  • Mar 2006

gd,

thanks for you help on this. I really appreciate it now at least I will know those kind of terms that they use in the forum.

we all hear differently, our perception of 'brightness' or 'warmth' varies, and sometimes one's description of sound quality directly contrasts with that of another, for the same piece of equipment.
                  Yup, I agree with you on this not all people has same idea or description on each levels.

Honestly speaking this forum is so helpfull not like other forum...hehehe

Anyway, thanks again GD!!!
                  :T :T :T
                  Marantz SR8500; RMB-1075 Silver
                  Dynaudio Audience 72SE; Audience 122C; Audience 42 & B&W ASW 600
                  Samsung DV841; Samsung DLP 50"
                  Cobalt Cable Interconnect; Audio Quest & Monster Cable

Comment

• Navy
                    • Jan 2006

gonzalc3 => nope, I didn't connect DV9600 to SR9600 during A/B comparison with Rotel. The source for that purpose was Usher CD-1, which is rather a neutral player. As gd mentioned above, it may be a question of subjective reception and the fact is that I prefer slightly warmer sound. As to DV9600, to me it is absolutely stunning on SACD and "just" great at DVD-A.

Comment

• gostan
                      • May 2003

Remember, while there are glowing reviews of the DV9600, that there are reports that the Marantz DV9600 is missing a remaining disc time function. If you use this function a lot, then, it may not be the one for you.
                      Stan

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"