Which Satellite/Cable HD service do you use?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • avab
    • Mar 2006

Which Satellite/Cable HD service do you use?

Hi Gang,

Just wanted to see what HD satellite services most people are using? I am in the process of trying to determine whether to pick DirecTV or DishTV network. I am having some trouble deciding whether to purchase HD equipment or lease it from the service provider.

Any advice???

Thanks gang!
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

I used to have DirecTV but now have Dish Network. I switched because Dish was offering a free HD receiver and local channels. I've been happy with both, nothing bad to say at all.
    Danish

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

DirecTV... mostly happy. I think I made the right choice.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• june
        • Feb 2005

Comcast Cable

Hello avab,

We use Comcast Cable for HD in the Philly area.
        June
        "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

I have Directv with the new AT-9 dish, so far I am pretty happy, but I am awaiting additional HD channels via MPEG 4 compression. HD certainly looks nice on my Panasonic 900. The other issue to consider is now D*TV now leases equipment, I bought all my equipment prior to the leasing date of 3/1/06. You would also need to check to see if local HD channels are available in your area, prior to purchase. If not, you will have to acquire local HD channels via OTA.

However, Verizon has just installed FIOS in my area, many say with their bandwith that HD is exceptional and not just HDlite. You may want to investigate this option as well. Cable just charges too much money, but with competition looming, maybe cable will be more competitive. Just my pennies worth.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

Although my systrem is hooked up to Time Warner Cable, I can't say I really use it very much for TV. In fact, since almost all my cable time is spent on the internet instead of watching TV, I have dropped to the lowest tier -- non-HD, non-digital "local" channels only. But in their wisdom, with that, they include nearly every shopping channel you've ever heard of and wished you hadn't. :>)

My infrequent TV viewing is mostly HD these days, and that's off the air, not via cable or satellite. According to experts I know who are connected to the same cable system I am, but are paying for cable HD and have measured it, their cable HD signal is so bandwidth-limited it is almost false advertising to label it HD.

Even with an HD tuner and HD DVR, my schedule keeps me from staying current with very many shows. The DVR records 12 hours in HD, which means you've got to catch up fairly soon if you are following more than one show, or up to 120 hours in standard (VHS-quality) definition, but of course, it also records the commecials with the shows.

Since so much of the really good TV programming makes it to DVD, and reasonably soon after the season ends for many of the best series, I've pretty well settled on that medium as the means to catch up with the shows that interest me -- reasonably high quality "video on demand" without commercials.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• brac
              • Aug 2005

The issue in my mind is that to get an HD/dvr they want several hundred dollars. Not many HD channels as yet.

I have directTV.
              Have had both, I guess im happy with it.

Comment

• Audiophiliac
                • Apr 2006

Once you start watching HD, you dont want to watch anything else. I have had DirecTV, Dish Network, CableOne, and back to Dish network (all living with other people who made those decisions). I am equally happy with all of them. The same shows are on them all. I think Dish is the most user friendly.

But for HD locals, if you can pick them up over the air, do it. It is uncompressed and looks much better than after being handed off from satellite to satellite.

Comment

• Shane Martin
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Apr 2001

I use Cox HD here. I can't get a signal with an antennae where I live due to interference.

Sat HD is lackluster at best. The downrezzing on Directv is atrocious. Dish isn't much better. Until they stop downrezzing I won't switch back to a satellite. The other satellite issues like rain fade and such are IMHO a non-issue where I live but in other parts of the country it might be.

Comment

• drsiebling
                    • Jan 2006

Dish Network - More HD Channels than any other provider and a commitment to not down-rez HD content like DirecTV and Cable companies are doing.

Comment

• avab
                      • Mar 2006

DirecTV downrezzes???

Hi gang,

I live in the Harrisburg, PA area and DirecTV does NOT broadcast my local HD channels YET. So I think, I have to resort to using a OTA antenna that I have to shove in my ceiling.

I had no idea about this downrezzing business? Does that mean I am better off with cable? I'm not a big fan of Comcast and it's ridiculous pricing for HD service.

Comment

• kevfla
                        • Apr 2006

I just had FiosTV installed. While I don't have an HD TV at the moment, I can say the picture quality is outstanding! I have used Brighthouse/Time Warner for years and it doesn't even come close in picture quality. I am a little disappointed with the audio though. It seems to be very flat on some channels. Almost mono sounding.

Comment

• Azeke
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by avab
                          Hi gang,

I live in the Harrisburg, PA area and DirecTV does NOT broadcast my local HD channels YET. So I think, I have to resort to using a OTA antenna that I have to shove in my ceiling.

I had no idea about this downrezzing business? Does that mean I am better off with cable? I'm not a big fan of Comcast and it's ridiculous pricing for HD service.
                          This is exactly one of the reasons I went to Directv was pricing and QoS. Unfortunately most providers are doing HD Lite, with the exception of FIOS TV, which I have just installed in my area so it may be a while. I just had my AT-9 dish installed with the new MPEG 4 compression, this is suppose to yield better bandwidth and therefore higher res. But as the blind man said, "We shall see". Just my quick thoughts, hope it helps.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"