X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sirbogey
    • Mar 2006

s-video vs component

When I installed my first HT, I did it with a Rotel Receiver and an Optoma projector. Based on several recommendations 5 years ago, I hooked up everything with s-video cables for a better picture. But reading through this forum, I sense component is better. Can someone make a final argument. :M
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Component is your best bet, though many are now getting into dvi and hdmi, which are digital, compared to the analog component.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Kobus
      • Aug 2005

There is no argument.

Component is better than s-video which is better than composite.

Kobus

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Yes, S-video is not capable of progressive scan lines of resolution even, let alone HD signals of 720P or 1080I. S-video will only transmit about 220 lines of resolution, far short of the 480 lines needed for progressive scan. Ditch S-vid for everything except what you have no other alternative.

Doug
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• sirbogey
          • Mar 2006

Thanks for your answers! and the sad truth...

Lex, basically you are saying that my current setup with a progressive scan DVD player and projector is useless... that sucks!

Comment

• Race Car Driver
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

S vid has your :
            black-white/blue-red

Where component has :
            black-white/ blue/ red

for better signal because you dont combine the blue and red then seperate it like S vid has to.
            B&W

Comment

• Kobus
              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by sirbogey
              Thanks for your answers! and the sad truth...... that sucks!

No, it is called technology.

Kobus

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

why would it be useless, if you get the proper cables sirbogey?
                Doug

Comment

• sirbogey
                  • Mar 2006

All clear now. I meant my setup was "useless". Will rewire everything shortly. thanks

Comment

• Azeke
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2003

Indeed you certainly will see marked improvement with component and a progressive DVD player. Your next step, an upconverting DVD player, which provides a 720P signal.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• sirbogey
                      • Mar 2006

all sounds good, BUT according to Rotel's website my RDV-1060 has only the interlaced scan mode available for PAL discs (therefore no progressive), and for NTSC one could choose between Interlaced and Progressive. My DVDs are all mixed, but nowadays probably 70% PAL since I moved to Europe back in '99.

The projector has progressive scan capabilities. Should I still upgrade to component?

What players have are "upconverting DVD player, which provides a 720P signal?"

Comment

• Lex
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Apr 2001

you may wish to start a new thread about DVD players. I am not a PAL person, so I can't tell you what PAL does or doesn't do. What we typically refer to as NTSC here is interlaced materials, no t progressive, we refer to that as 480P, progressive scan, or HD ready.

It does seem like on 70% of your DVDs, you won't get benefit to component necessarily. But I'd still do both connections, and then buy more non pal material.

Your image would be SO much better.
                        Doug

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"