X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stantheman2
    • Apr 2004

Amp Choices for HT with receiver as pre/pro

After about a year of internal debate, I'm about ready to buy a used power amp, run thru a Rotel 1056 receiver as a pre/pro, to power B&W 600 Series 2 speakers. Two questions to others that might have done the same, or similar:

1. I'm nervous this may be a simple case of upgradeitis on my part (we've all been there), with no real benefit. What are your experiences - what benefits did you hear, and was it worth it?

2. What amp? My budget is $1K or under. That seems to limit the power increase to only 50% or so above the 75 wpc of the 1056. from my search, I have ID'd several possibilities. The Rotel 1075 amp is an obvious choice - others are an Anthem MCA-5 or a Parasound 1205A. The Anthem PVA-7 or B&K 125.7 are also intriguing - I only have a 5.1 setup, but I could then bi-amp my L and R mains.

Any thoughts/experiences would be much appreciated. I moved this from the Rotel forum, since it wasn't strictly a Rotel question.
  • Paul H
    • Feb 2004

I added an bryston 3B amplifier a couple of years ago to feed my mains from my Yamaha 3300 receiver.

This particular receiver has a healthy power supply and amp section as receivers go but I still noticed an improvement with the bryston in the form of tighter bass, no midrange change that I could tell, and slightly cleaner clearer highs.

The overall difference was noticeable but not huge. In my own uncontrolled blind testing during careful listening with music I could always identify which amp was on, and had a preference for the bryston - but I wouldn't notice the difference if I was wandering around the room and I'm not sure I'd hear an improvement in movies.

Just my 2 cents ..

Paul

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

I basically agree with Paul. You will see a small improvement upgrading your amp. You could also set yourself up for a future speaker upgrade by going with a more powerful, separate amp.

I'm not sure what your long term goals are, but shorter term, IMHO, I would upgrade the 600 S2 first. I think you will get a bigger improvement.

At some point then you would still want to upgrade to a separate amp.
      Danish

Comment

• stantheman2
        • Apr 2004

Well, I wound up buyong a Rotel 1075 amp - my dealer was having a sale. I appreciate the input on my original request, but my experince has been quite different that that of the posters above. In my particular situation, adding the separate amp made a significant improvement in sound, both with CDs and DVDs, Interestingly, the improvement is obvious at low to moderate levels, NOT just at high levels, where you would think more power would make the most difference.

My observations - most important to me, the attack and decay of individual notes and sounds (instruments or vocals) is much more complete and accurate. There is more authority and control on the low end - one example, I can hear the lower registers on acoustic guitar much better. The amp also does a beter job separating individual instruments and voices in the sound field.

In sum, I found the improvement well worth the investment.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Well, that's the important thing. Congrats! :banana: You were looking for a 5-channel amp, right?
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• stantheman2
            • Apr 2004

Yes, I guess I was loooking for a 5-ch amp. I debated getting a 200wpc stereo amp, but I tend to use my system 60 - 70% movies/TV and 30 - 40% CD's, so I was looking to improve both my HT and my music experiences. Mission accomplished w/Rotel's 1075 amp!

A point my dealer made is that most amps are only running several watts a channel most of the time, so the guality of the first few watts can have as big an impact as the maximum number of watts. Of course, more watts increases the range over which the sound is "effortless".

Comment

• Azeke
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2003

Indeed in this hobby it's what makes you happy.

Did you ever consider a 2 channel amp and then power your center and rears with the receiver? Just a thought.

Congratulations, I'm glad you're satisfied with your purchase :T .

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Stantheman2
                I appreciate the input on my original request, but my experince has been quite different that that of the posters above. In my particular situation, adding the separate amp made a significant improvement in sound, both with CDs and DVDs, Interestingly, the improvement is obvious at low to moderate levels, NOT just at high levels, where you would think more power would make the most difference.

My observations - most important to me, the attack and decay of individual notes and sounds (instruments or vocals) is much more complete and accurate. There is more authority and control on the low end - one example, I can hear the lower registers on acoustic guitar much better. The amp also does a beter job separating individual instruments and voices in the sound field.
                Excellent :banana: your experience exactly mirrors mine when I first added a Rotel RMB-1075 to my (then) Denon 3802 Reciever - an amazing improvement that sent me down the path of sepatates... The sound was very much transformed in the way you describe... I was (like you) impressed and surprised.

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"