X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tmwalsh
    • Jan 2006

meaningful amplifier specs

I wish that it was as simple as "How Many Watts/channel?" to indicate something meaningful or provide a basis for comparison between two amps. I've tried to read up on all the tech terms (damping factor, slew rate, etc) but it still doesn't answer How do you compare amplifiers.

For example, is a damping factor of 150 "good"? Is 180? 400? 1,000?? If I understand this one, the higher the number the better it controls the cone (starts and stops it), primarily regarding bass response. Would I hear a difference between 150 and 180? 150 and 1,000? I would assume so but maybe its much more subtle. And why is 1,000 "better" than 150?

I know this line of questioning comes up a lot so if there's an established thread somewhere that deals with it, please let me know-there's no sense reinventing the wheel. And I must confess to not being that technologically-inclined. I do like to have some sense of what's going on, though. Thanks all!
  • GregLett
    • May 2005

specs alone don't cut it, you've got to listen. But the specs are interesting, let's see what the boys have to say
    Greg

Comment

• tmwalsh
      • Jan 2006

Agreed. Its just much easier at first to see specs on a website, window shopping as it were, than lugging amps around.

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

GreggLet,

Damping is the ablility of a power amp to control speaker motion. The lower the amps output impedance, the higher the damping factor and the tighter the sound. A damping factor >=1000 is considered high. In essence, a high damping factor equals tighter bass. That's the readers digest version.

Beware, some companies inflate their specs, while others are very conservative. As previously mentioned, the best way to determine is to listen for yourself with your own equipment and within your own environment if at all possible.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

From my limited technical knowledge, I would say if you had to choose without listening, Damping Factor may be one of the best indicators of performance.

But, (and there always has to be a ‘But’ for some strange reason, doesn’t there?) I think that once you get above a ‘certain’ $ cost in amplifiers, your going to be comparing nuances, not performance. At the same time, bad speakers are always going to be bad speakers, not matter how many Krell’s you put at them. Yet a good or efficient one could possibly suffer a ‘lower’ performing amp in some cases.

IMHO, If you are trying to cull amps, sort by what is the most you can afford, then......forget all about ‘Specs’ ................and go and listen.........and base your decision on what ‘Sounds’ like a good spec.
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• tmwalsh
            • Jan 2006

Oh man, good advice from a Steeler's fan. Whodathunkit
            I totally get your point about nuance vs. performance.....

Comment

• wkhanna
              Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Hey!!! Give me a break, I’m a Steeler fan, not a Raven fan.

Oh Man!! I may really have gotten myself in trouble with this one!!!
              But I used to live in Baltimore.....and I liked it there........ very very much!.....Honestly!!

BTW, my daughter’s b-day is this month and she wants us to take her the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame for her present. My wife and I have been there already, and we are looking forward to going back. Cleveland is a great town!

(edit after reread of post)

Oh!! and so is Baltimore!!!.......Honey, are your sure the doors are locked?!?!?!?
              _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
              ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• tmwalsh
                • Jan 2006

Same for my daughter, though at 1 year old I doubt she wants to see the RRHOF.

Hey, unintended benefit from HTG: Browns/Steelers fan finding common ground- Baltimore Bashing.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"