Q: Do you find the Dayton RS speakers to be "aggressive"?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fjhuerta
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2006

Q: Do you find the Dayton RS speakers to be "aggressive"?

I don't know how to describe it... all I know is that even after supressing all major peaks and resonances, crossing them over low, etc., I still find the Dayton RS drivers to be fatiguing in the long run.

I've used the 125, 150 and 180 so far.

Is it possible that I'm doing something wrong? I've always used 6th order accoustic crossovers with series filters. I don't see any break-up whatsoever either by measurements or simulations.

Could it be that I just don't like their sound? Is such a thing even possible?
    Javier Huerta
  • augerpro
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2006

How far down have you suppressed the cone breakup? Even then the breakup shows up as HD so maybe that's what you notice? What XO point have you used?
    ~Brandon 8O
    Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
    Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
    DriverVault
    Soma Sonus

Comment

• Jed
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Apr 2005

Any driver can sound aggressive if power response isn't flat or there are large peaks in the midrange off axis. RS drivers are not easy to work with, but I've managed to get a really smooth sound with the RS52.

Another overlooked area is the 400-800 region, especially for 3-ways. If there is too much overlap beyond the woofer's Fc, I find the sound too aggressive. Also, try a flat delay response as opposed to LR or you could try an asymmetrical slope. More experimentation is needed before reaching a generalization about a particular cone. Even then, one may never know because there are so many possilbilites with different slopes, crossover points, etc.

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

What kind of music?

And, do you do much live (particularly live unamplified)?

C
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"