Using a reciever for the processor section only?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Using a reciever for the processor section only?

Well, with my sunfire TG back from repair and still giving me problems (going back to sunfire again with less then 5 hrs of use on it) Im looking for something to replace it.
    Now at work I can get a nice pioneer or denon reciever at a discount.
    Now I dont need it for the power, but we dont sell any processors or pre amps, i would just be using it for the processing, and also the two im looking at im told convert inputs to HDMI output.

So is it a bad idea to use it just for the processing? And if I can get a nice one for under $1000 my cost. I would think it would run cooler without anything hooked up to the speaker outputs.
    Last edited by Race Car Driver; 14 March 2006, 20:10 Tuesday.
    B&W
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Sure, you can use a receiver for processing only. Most have some sort of pre-outs. It's actually a great thing for people to do that have receivers, want to go to separates, but can't yet afford to buy both a processor and amps, so they just buy the amps, use their current receiver, and save up for the processor.

Buying a new unit though? Hmmm... if you're going to buy a new unit, I'd have to say that no, if you're going to spend money, just buy a processor if you're not going to use a receiver's power. Of course, you're in a unique situation, if you can get great deals, but only on receivers, not processors

You're going to have to make the decision. I'd recommend just a processor, but you'll have to weigh your finances to see if you can afford it.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

I'd say given your particular situation and the upcoming format/connection instability that a $500-$750 receiver would be your best bet in the interim. Just make sure it has preouts

Then when you do upgrade to a true pre/pro you'll have a nice receiver for a secondary system or to sell.
      Jason

Comment

• P-Dub
        Office Moderator
        • Aug 2000

I have been looking at this route for some time. I just can't afford a full processor, or the one I want. But there are a lot of nice receivers that will do the processing that I want.

So I would go with the receiver, espeically with the flux of the new formats. Go for the Pionneer Elite model and you can sell it to me when you want to upgrade for next to nothing.
        Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Im looking at the VSX-74TXVI Pioneer or AVR-3806 Denon.

Thanks for the opinions.
          B&W

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"