X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • willng24
    • Aug 2005

Powered Coax splitters, any good??

Hi All,

I live in a high rise building and it is common to see coax cable being split throughout the building. Just in my unit alone the coax is split 3 ways (two bedrooms and living room). Would using a powered coax splitter improve my picture quality? I guess my true question is, does a powered coax splitter actually work?

My setup is for Comcast HD cable via coax into the box and DVI into the TV.

Any info or advice will be greatly appreciated.

thanks
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

It would seem an amplified splitter may be what you need, then I would test to see if your video quality improves. If not, return to the vendor for refund. This would also have dependent factors with the building's setup. Ensure that you use quality cabling and all connections are tight. Just my quick thoughts.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Stoney
      • Dec 2004

In the past, I have used an amplified coax splitter from RS on an analog cable and have also used it on a standard tv antenna with undetermined results. It did have a built in FM filter that helped clear up interferance but I think I was dealing more with FM interference causing diagonal lines and reflected signals causing shadows instead of weak signals.
      I am wondering if there is a difference between the signals on the old cables and the newer systems. Is the comcast cable digital? Is it a feed from a satelite dish? Don't the cables from the dishes carry a DC voltage in addition to the actual material? Do they make amps for digital cable?
      Sorry about asking more questions than giving answers, but these were questions that popped to mind when I read your question.
      Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
      Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
      B&W DM605 S2 Mains
      DM602 S2 Surrounds
      DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
      CC6 S2 Center.
      ASW 1000 Sub

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI willng,
        Amplified splitters work well if you need them. I have a four way amplified splitter that feeds four rooms with a a good signal. The only caution is if you are getting a very stong signal an amplified splitter can provide too much signal and overdrive your receivers. In that case, use an unamplified splitter.

Sparky
        Last edited by Karma; 09 March 2006, 11:05 Thursday.

Comment

• willng24
          • Aug 2005

Thanks for all the great advice. I do have Comcast Digital Cable, but I'm not aware of any voltage going on the coax.

I will head on over to radio shack and see what they have to offer.

Regards,

Will

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"