X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blaa
    • Jan 2005

Biamping B&W DM605

I was wondering would it harm my speakers in any way if I biamped my B&W DM605 speakers?

I just got a new receiver Denon AVR-3806, and here I have an option to biamp the front speakers. And I want to try this but not if it harms my speakers in any way..
    Blaa

B&W DM605, DM601, LCR6 and ASW2500.
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Nope won't hurt them at all... I don't think it'll make much difference, but it might. Just try it and see!
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• Stoney
      • Dec 2004

This question also posted here http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=18725 with a few replies.
      Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
      Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
      B&W DM605 S2 Mains
      DM602 S2 Surrounds
      DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
      CC6 S2 Center.
      ASW 1000 Sub

Comment

• Nov 2005

Hi Blaa,
        There can be some advantage to biamping using the speakers built in crossovers. The amps will cover a smaller frequency range and each put out less power. This method will not harm your speakers. I think the advantage will be minimal.

Classical biamping uses active crossovers in front of the amplifiers and the built-in crossovers are bypassed. Now, this can give some real performance advantages if you are expereinced enough to get everything set up right. It's not easy. Most folks, including me, will not bother because of the hastle and added expense. I have done it in the past so I do have the experience of the advantages and the pain of getting it right. If done right, it can be excellent.

Sparky

Comment

• Stoney
          • Dec 2004

As I very poorly explained/asked in the other thread, the DM 605's have a built in amplifier for the bass and possibly a good portion of the midrange. Basically, any time you use these speakers, you are already bi-amping. Your external amp is driving the highs and the speakers internal amp is driving the lows.
          What I am not sure about is what frequencies go where after the binding posts.
          One set of posts is labled HF and the other LF/MF.
          The Manual lists the crossovers at 230 & 4Khz.
          The speakers have a tweeter, midrange, and two bass drivers.
          If you switch the internal amp off, to me it sounds like most mids and all bass drops out.
          I am thinking that everything below 230 goes through the internal amp, but it sounds like the cutoff may be much higher, possibly 4K.
          I am thinking that the LF/MF terminals are just like using the line level inputs on a standard subwoofer, and if the cutoff is at 4khz, driving these terminals with a separate amplifier is a total waste of time.
          I sent a question to B&W, but have not received an answer.
          Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
          Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
          B&W DM605 S2 Mains
          DM602 S2 Surrounds
          DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
          CC6 S2 Center.
          ASW 1000 Sub

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"