X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dalinica
    • Feb 2006

Home theater

I know you guys are asked this question about a million times but here goes, I have a new family room and I have already purchased a 120 inch projection screen. I now need to look at the sound. I have no knowledge of this at all. The room is 23X23. I have heard of B&W speakers but, I would be interested in anything that sounds great for movies. I need the whole system, and I am not sure what all that could be. What price range should I be prepared to spend? I have tried to look this up but, I am not sure what I am looking at. Any help at all would be great.
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Dalinica,

Welcome to HTGuide :later: .

Well.....where can we start.

1) Let us know how much you are willing to spend for the whole setup $$$$.

2) Do you listen to music and movies, if so what percentage.

3) One of the best thing to do is to go and listen at different setups and determine what sounds best to you, because it's your money after all.

4) Separates or Receivers, separates require a pre-pro, as well as separate amplification. I personally like separates, however everyone is different.

All that being said here are some general recommendations for listening.

Speakers:

B&W-always a reliable bet.
    Martin Logans
    Definitive Technology
    Energy

Amplification:

Classe-more expensive, but worth every penny
    Rotel-great bang for the buck
    Lexicon
    Parasound
    Denon
    Marantz

Subs:

SVS,
    Sunfire,
    Martin Logans

I could go on and on......here is a website that will help get you started, others will chime in.

Audio Reviews

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• dalinica
      • Feb 2006

Well I don't know what to expect to pay for the system. This will be 90% for watching movies. I really don't have any idea about this. I asked a friend who seems to know a little to put something together, but I would also like to learn so I am getting what I expect for the money. Is $2500.00 a realistic price for this?

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

I have some experience with 2-channel, but am a relative rookie to HT.
        What I can say with conviction is this:

If you don’t have the time or desire to do hours of research; set a budget limit first, while keeping in mind rule #2..... you get what you pay for in most all instances.

At the same, if you spend $2.5 K on a system, being that you have not heard anything to compare it to, it will most likely sound spectacular the first time you listen to it. But Old Man Time will eventually make you “hear” limitations of an economical “box” system. But this depends on how discriminating your ear is. You may be happy with the performance of this type of system for years, and there is absolutely nothing in the world wrong with that!

On the other hand, if you spend 2.5K and 6 months later ask yourself “Why didn’t I spend a few more bucks on a ‘better’ system”, well, we all live and learn. And that is why you came hear in the first place. To learn form the errors/experience we have all made.

There are folks here that spend $2.5K on a Used 2-channel amp. In other words, how discriminating is your ear and what level of performance are you in search off?

If the majority of use will be for casual HT, I would advise you to set a upper limit of what your willing to spend and audition package systems at reputable retailers.

Otherwise, be prepared for your next Obsessive Dysfunction. Do your homework, and use steps to amortize your investment and build over time. Maybe start with a good quality AV receiver like a Denon that provides 7.1 format and some well regarded speakers that are a good value for the buck. Others here can steer you in the right direction for the specific brands.

I guess the bottom line of what I attempting to say to you is, don’t be impulsive. Get as much reliable advise as you can, do as much homework as you can, and keep in mind that you have to determine just how ‘Good’ of a system you are really looking for.

I hope this helps while not being intimidating. But I really hate to see you spend good money on a system that you are not happy with after a short time. And I am sure there others here that can give you good advise on solid performing systems in that range.
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

And please excuse my manners.........

Welcome, Welcome, and Welcome to the Forum!!!!!
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• therock
            • Mar 2006

A Suggestion

See my sig for my setup, minus the TV, it just left the house via a divorce. I'm TV hunting myself.

As seen in my link I have a complete matched Dahlquist setup. They have changed their line since but I tell you for the money these speakers bring goose bumps out all the time. Dahlquist is a lower priced line that rivals the big boys in sound and quality. Their roots go back to the Merantz family.
            Go HERE and talk to Marc. Tell him therock from GA sent you. It will only cost you a phone call. Marc is great to do business with. I purchased all Blem's to save money and cannot see a blem on them. My Onkyo may not impress some of the real audiophiles here but my system rocks. Out of the box they were great but they broke in to impress me even more.
            At the time the Canadian dollar conversion really helped me out. Marc ships fast and is always on hand to serve.
            Good Luck
            Thanks, therock

My Dahlquist Audio Set Up

My Other Hobby

Comment

• dyazdani
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by dalinica
              Well I don't know what to expect to pay for the system. This will be 90% for watching movies. I really don't have any idea about this. I asked a friend who seems to know a little to put something together, but I would also like to learn so I am getting what I expect for the money. Is $2500.00 a realistic price for this?
              I would say $2500 is a good minimum for what I'll call an "entry level" system. You can definately get yourself a decent system for that.

Like the other posts said though, there are many options and you can spend as much as you can dream up.

I'd suggest you visit all the shops you can and audition some equipment in various price ranges. That should give you a good idea of what's available.
              Danish

Comment

• maseline_98
                • Apr 2005

Welcome to the boards!!!!...the guys on here know what they are talking about...I'm still pretty new to this myself, but just purchased a SVS 20-39PC+ and it freakin' rocks. It might not fit into your $2500 budget, but you should give a call to the guys at SVS and maybe they'll be able to help you. 23X23 Theater room would be a dream room to have...Good luck and I hope you like your new setup(no matter what you choose to get)

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
                Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Yeah I'd say $2500 would get you a good quality entry level system. Not super high-end mind you but MILES AHEAD of a crappy HTIB.

At that price range you're looking at an around $500 receiver, $1500 on sub and speakers, $200 on a DVD player and a few hundred left over for cables and miscelaneous splurges.

Now if it was me and I wanted to do it "right" and spend a bit more money the first time around... I'd say $750-$1500 on a receiver or pre/pro, $1000-$2500 on an amp, $2500-$4000 on speakers/sub, $300-$1500 on sources (DVD player/CD player/DAC etc) and $500-$750 on cables.

Perhaps a good peice of advice would be to go to some dealers and listen to equipment in varrying price ranges to get a feel for what sound quality vs cost your comfortable with, then set a budget and get brand/model info from there
                  Jason

Comment

• eddiem67
                    • Jun 2004

I have canton ventos for my 7.1 set up, these are just an awesome home theater setup for a music type speaker. Also look at Dali, Revel, and Onix. If you dont want big type speakers take a look at totem acoustics. Big sound, for small speaker design.
                    My Car Audio

Comment

• Vinny
                      • Mar 2006

Welcome :later:
                      like above, $2500 would be good for starting. Depends on how you go further on the system in the future, pick a route that has least upgrade needed.
                      If I were you I'd do this(for least speaker upgrade since I hate to move these monsters and rewire over and over):
                      $250 on Panny XR55(only sad thing is no preout but the best reciever I've heard under $1000, better than some $1000+ as well. Great money too), or $400 Pioneer 1015(has auto CC and preout, but you will want to add an amp on it pretty soon as its weak on its amplification)
                      $200 Oppo OPDV971H DVD player
                      $50-100 on 50-100ft speaker wire(10-12gauge, wire by yourself)
                      $5-800 on subwoofer(most heaviest unit.... get the right one at once. I don't think you want to move a 100lbs+ monster all around)
                      Spend the rest on the speakers. I've been using Klipsch so I'm recommending it as well :B . Horn design gives a projection feel(well whether you like it or not, but I do ) Never have to worry about having not enough amp power to push the speakers(close to 100db @ 1watt). Probably can get some decent deal as the new series just released too
                      All you need in the interconnect would be just a subwoofer cable, coaxial cable and/or 3-4pairs of RCA by then.

Then go straight into seperate(Panny XR-55, only $250 doesn't hurt that much even if no one wants it while new format comes out) preout to amp(Pioneer 1015) after you have some upgrade bugs to bite you by then :B

Well afterall that's what I'd do. If you are active on moving speakers around you can go for other route I guess.
                      Pioneer KRP-500M
                      Emotiva UMC-1
                      Parasound 5125
                      Oppo BDP-83
                      Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
                      SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• slayer
                        • Dec 2005

Expect some problems with your audio. Square rooms are not good for sound.
                        Parasound Halo C2
                        Earthquake Cinenova Grande (5ch amp)
                        Crown X1000 (2ch amp)
                        Oppo BDP103
                        Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 Tube DAC
                        Xbox One
                        Monster Cable Signiture Series HTPS 7000
                        Panasonic 60" ST Series Plasma
                        BenQ HT1075 projector w/ 92" Dragonfly screen
                        Energy Veritas 2.2i fronts
                        Energy Veritas 2.0i center
                        CAT Tiburon series side surround
                        Energy E-XL 15 rear surround
                        Velodyne SMS-1
                        Custom 15" sealed sub (Diamond Audio TDX15)

Comment

• Snap
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by slayer
                          Expect some problems with your audio. Square rooms are not good for sound.
                          a 18x14 is better than 18x18 but there are lots worse rooms than a sqare room. Some rooms have no side walls, and are all sorts of jacked up. And the WAF insisted that the HT go into these weird rooms.

A properly calibrated system in a square room, will do fine. Unless you are talking a 10x10 or smaller than you are right it is going to give you a hard time. I forget if the room dimentions are listed in the origonal post.
                          The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"