X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

BFD Satisfaction Level?

Now that the "BFD 10" have had a few months to play with your new toy, how satisfied are you with it? I'd passed on Bob's (rebop) group buy at the time and now I'm curious as to how effective the Behringer DSP1124 is. My new room has some pesky peaks and nulls that need to be tamed and I'm hoping the BFD has been good for you. Also, have you noticed any smearing or increase in the distortion in the sound at the freqs the BFD is working in? I have a nice, accurate, servo-controlled sub (Velodyne FSR-15) and I don't want to lose that level of definition if I can avoid it.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I should repost my before and after plots since I tweaked them again after moving the subs...in short though I couldn't be without my BFD...at least not if I ever wanted to tame some nasty nulls and an ugly peak. I still want to tweak the cross over point a little but at least that's an option now with the parametric in the chain.

Comment

• Pat
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

While I didn't get mine through the group buy...I have been re-adjusting my settings lately.
      Once you get a fairly flat setting dialed in, you can easily take the filter out and listen to your "before" setting then with one button push, back to flat...amazing difference 8O
      I have not noticed any problems with the sound.

I would rate it pretty high on the bang-for-the-buck scale :T

Pat's Page
      Pat's Page

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
        • Jan 2002

For $130 (or there abouts) you won't go wrong if you know you have peaks and valleys to deal with...... which I'd suggest most people do unless you have an anechoic chamber for a listening room.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• Danbry39
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Sep 2002

All right, all right! Stop the noise!!! ;x( I admit it. Other than things like positioning my speakers and a couple of tweaks, I've been a very, very bad room accoustics boy.

My system sounds great, but the BFD really is piquing my interest. Nonetheless, I'm somewhat intimidated by products I haven't yet tried. Can anyone who've used the BFD give me a brief run down on how complex it is to use or whether I'll need anything else such as a microphone to use it? Do you hook it up to your pre-pro? I haven't a clue.

Keith
          Keith

Comment

• Eduardo
            Moderator emeritus
            • Jun 2002

you won't go wrong if you know you have peaks and valleys
            How analyze your room? I have a RS sound meter and that is all. I don't have any software or a microphone.

Have you used this before = http://www.behringer.com/02_products...P8024&lang=eng

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Eduardo, my latest copy of The Absolute Sound has a review of the Behringer 8024 in it. I'll read it and post a synopsis of the beastie.

David - HTGuide flunky
              Our "Theater"
              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Eduardo
                Moderator emeritus
                • Jun 2002

Thanksn David.

I like that it has a RTA built in. :tu

Comment

• Ricky
                  • Aug 2000

Ok, ok I need to get my lazy ass off the coach and utilize my BFD (I think the 1124 model)...which has been sitting collecting dust for several months. I have two passive LFE/rear-redirect sub woofers placed as side, end tables. Any tips on the easier approaches to get the BFD up and running? Links to tips and FAQs?

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

Ricky, see our BFD Expert's home page, Sonnie!

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                    Doug
                    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• JKohn
                      • Jun 2002

I love my BFD, woudln't ever think of having a sub without one. When I first got my SVS 20-39PCi, I was initially disappointed. I had been hearing so much about the clean, undistorted bass that it would produce, and my initial impression was that it was even boomier than my old sub. But the reason was because of some massive room peaks (over 15db at one frequency in particular).

Once I got the BFD and managed to get a pretty flat response (actually slight house curve), the SVS sounds sooo much better. You can actually hear/feel the lower frequencies, without them getting totally drowned out by the peaks. It made a huge difference in the performance of my home theater. For $130 it's a no-brainer.

That said, you guys who manually calibrate measuring one frequency at a time are CRAZY. If I'd had to do it that way I would have gone crazy. Do yourself a favor and download the demo version of ETF (http://www.etfacoustic.com). This thing will allow you to measure from 20-200 in a second or two, and you can put it into loop mode so that it keep repeating while you tweak the BFD filters. Once you're familiar with the process, you can EQ a sub in 15-20 minutes. And you don't need a special mic, you can still use the Radio Shack SPL meter. There's a website somewhere with detailed instructions of how to use ETF with the BFD, I'll try to find the link and post later.

Jeff Kohn
                      Jeff Kohn
                      http://home.houston.rr.com/jeffkohn

Comment

• JKohn
                        • Jun 2002

Here's the web page I was talking about http://www27.brinkster.com/jmag999/

Jeff Kohn
                        Jeff Kohn

Comment

• Eduardo
                          Moderator emeritus
                          • Jun 2002

JKohn - The Elfacoustic program looks interesting. I was very impressed with thier web site too. Very clean and had a tutorial explaining the function and use of the application.

The url for the second website is not working though.

Comment

• JKohn
                            • Jun 2002

The url for the second website is not working though.
                            Oops, the bb software here doesn't automatically hyperlink URL text (I've fixed that now). The URL should be working though, I just checked and was able to pull up the page.

BTW for anybody wondering, the only real limitation of the demo version is that you can't save your measurements to disk, otherwise it's fully functional so there's no harm in giving it a try.

Jeff Kohn
                            Jeff Kohn

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                              • Jan 2002

There is also Spectra Plus which will work similar to ETF.

Ricky and Danbry39, you can go to BFD COMPREHENSIVE SETUP GUIDE to learn more about the BFD and measurements.

I still use the old method of manual measuring and it doesn't take me long, but I've done it so many times and it's easy for me. The learning curve for me with Spectra Plus and ETF was as bad as the BFD. A pain.... but if you are willing to learn them, either could be of some time saving assistance.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"