X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • turbojr74
    • Sep 2004

Movies to help subwoofer setup??

Hello all,

My question isn't really complicated; however, it is probably rather controversial and opt to preference.

Subwoofers aren't really the easiest to set with a db meter, since the common db radio shack meter gets less and less actuate below 100hz (correct me if I'm wrong it may be a little higher than that). So most will do it to taste since this method with the meter would set it too low.

I would love to find out from the community how they set theirs up. What rule of thumb do you use or have found a method you like? Such as what movie, music, or thought process do you use to set your sub up as to not go over board, but have that great BOOM when it needs to be there?

I.E. - In the past I have used Behind Enemy Lines....the part where Owen Wilson is running through a bunch of explosive wire traps and they start to go off. It offered a constant boom, one after another to set it up a bit better.

Thanks (if this is a repost or been discussed to many times, I apologize...I used the search but to no avail. Please point me in the right direction)
    Joey
    "I've got a fever! And the only perscription...is more cow bell" - Christopher Walken - SNL
  • SteveCallas
    • Aug 2005

If you use a wide band pink noise signal that encompasses many frequencies, there is less need to worry about the innacuracies of the radio shack spl meter for sub calibrating. I use that as a starting point, and then I fine tune a level to be used with music and a level to be used with movies. For music, I use a variety of different sources, but I have noticed that Sarah McLachlan often has some decently low bass in her songs. If the sub level is too high, this low bass will sound overpowering, if too low, you don't get enough punch or texture from it. So I adjust until it is just right and I use that level whenever I listen to music - right now for me that is 2db lower than what the radio shack meter says it should be. For movies, I just boost the sub level about 3db higher than what the radio shack meter says it should be and I have no complaints.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Hey, Joey, movies and music as such should never be used to calibrate any part of any system. You should only use sterile test tones.

Have you heard of a Behringer Feedback Destroyer? Very popular here on this forum for tuning in a subwoofer.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• turbojr74
        • Sep 2004

Hey Chris I haven't heard of the Behringer Feedback Destroyer....I'll look it up.

I guess what I meant to get accross was that I use the Radio db meter and then tune the sub a little more with a good bassy movie so that point is now the loudest point I ever want the bass/LFE to go.

My over-all feeling is that if I ran the sub on the same db my main, center, and surround were....it wouldn't have much of an impact when it came to those times in the movie where that explosion should be felt as well as heard.

BTW, I have a True Sig 10 for sub, Vandersteen 2ce Sig for mains, Sonus Faber Solo Home center, and Definative BP2 for surrounds. All these settings are either above or below my mains with pink noise at a starting ref of 72db; I run +-6db for sub, +2db higher for center, and -2db lower on the surrounds. I hope that all makes sense.

------------

Steve,

I'll give Sarah McLachlan a try when adjusting it to music.

Anyone else out there??

Thanks guys for the responses.
        Joey
        "I've got a fever! And the only perscription...is more cow bell" - Christopher Walken - SNL

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

Turbojr74,

I actually run a Sunfire Mark IV, and use to run it hot around @ +6db above reference, I found this to overwhelm my mids and highs. I recently recalibrated my sub (@ 75db) using AVIA and RS SPL meter and I found this to be very good even though, I have a few nulls, based on my room acoustics (considering the Feedback Destroyer FBZ-2496). I have set all speakers to small, increased my center and surrounds, +1db. Xover for sub and speakers at 80, with the exception of the Fronts for which the xover is set at 60. After much experimentation this works well for me, hopefully this may provide some assistance for you.

Check you phase controls (if you have it), re-calibrate your volume, and set crossover frequency to highest setting, and sub placement (try different locations and/or orientations). Remember minute adjustments make significant differences in sound. The Subwoofer is one of the most difficult to blend. Also you may want to consider bass traps, I actually use a DIY trap which also helped.

Best regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Shane Martin
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2001

My over-all feeling is that if I ran the sub on the same db my main, center, and surround were....it wouldn't have much of an impact when it came to those times in the movie where that explosion should be felt as well as heard.
            This is ideal if you subwoofer is capable of that. Most people need to boost it because they don't buy enough sub for their room whether those reasons be financial, size constraints etc.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"