X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wacko
    • Aug 2004

Help Testing Speakers PLEASE!!

Hi all,
    Such a rude way to introduce myself to you for the first time... and yet it must be done. If somebody could help me that would be great!

A few years ago I bought a Kenwood home theatre system, which included a receiver and five speakers and a subwoofer.

After a recent apartment move I found that when I tried to plug my speakers into the receiver, NONE of them worked. I invested in a multimeter to test the speakers' impedance. The speakers were 8 Ohms, and the multimeter registered 8 Ohms (give or take).

Incidentally, the speakers are the kind with two naked wires on the end that you have to clip into the receiver (not that I know of any other type).

Do I have enough information to conclude that it's the receiver that isn't working and the speakers are fine? Is there anything else I should be testing for, given I don't have access to another receiver?

Thanks a bunch!
    WACKO
  • Paul H
    • Feb 2004

The odds of all 5 speakers quitting at the same time are - never mind, it just wouldn't happen.

If you're getting no sound at all, from radio, dvd, cd, then it's the receiver. I assume you've checked the mute button, ensured that the speaker A/B switch is set correctly, that kind of stuff?

Paul

Comment

• Wacko
      • Aug 2004

Thanks for the reply!

When routing the VCR through the receiver to the TV (video, audio L & R), I do get a result. BUT that's only when doing it through the VCR 2 input. When I try VCR 1, or VCR 3, I get bubkis. More evidence that it's the receiver's fault no sound's going to the speakers.

But is there any definitive test that I can do that would tell me if the speakers themselves are working?

Thanks again!
      WACKO

Comment

• Paul H
        • Feb 2004

The measurement that you did across the speaker terminals showed a resistance that would indicate that the wires or connectors aren't broken inside the speaker.

Unless a connection is broken, speakers don't normally just quit - if they're failing they would usually make at least some kind of rattly, buzzy sound for weeks prior to not making any sound at all.

Any other test besides resistance requires a separate electrical signal generator of some sort - such as a receiver

If your TV has separate speaker out connections at the back you could hook them up to that for testing.

Paul

Comment

• Shane Martin
          Super Senior Member
          • Apr 2001

The reciever is probably at fault and the problem. My father in laws HTIB's Kenwood reciever crapped out just over a year after he purchased it. The thing won't output any signal when playing analog. When playing digital, it will do it just fine.

I don't know of any way to determine if your speakers are working fine still.

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Sounds like the perfect itme to upgrade to audiophile gear! :B

Jason
            Jason

Comment

• Pat
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Wacko
              given I don't have access to another receiver?
              Is there any way you could take them over to a friends house and try them there?
              What about your friendly neighborhood stereo shop? They might be able to hook them up quick and easy just to see if they work.
              Pat's Page

Comment

• Wacko
                • Aug 2004

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I guess I will have to lug the speakers several blocks down!

But yeah, it's most likely the receiver...

WACKO

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                  Former Moderator
                  • Jan 2002

Hi welcome to the guide.

1. You can just use a 9 volt battery and touch the ends of each speaker wire to the terminals. You should here a "pop" sound. Try this on each speaker to confirm they are all sounding/working.

2. Check to make sure your cable/s from you DVD player is in the "Input" of the receiver.

3. Check your DSP setting on the receiver. Make sure you're in surround mode = Dolby Digital or Pro-logicII.

4. Check to make sure that the signal source on the receiver is correct. If you're using an Optical cable for audio transport make sure that "OPT" is selected as the digital source. Likewise > COAX for Coaxial or if you're using RCAs then ANALOG to be selected.

5. Check in DVD audio menu that the audio is selected correctly > Bitstream for digital >>> PCM for anolog and so on.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!!
                  CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"