X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimatvs
    • Jan 2005

Need receiver to match Vienna Acoustics speakers

I own a pair of Vienna Acoustics Haydn speakers (bookshelf) and need to replace a 20 year-old Denon receiver that is on its last legs (it can't remember FM/AM presets anymore).

I also have a HK DVD 31, which I just purchased. Great unit - although a side note on this is that if you own a Tivo and press the "Play" or "Record" button on the Tivo Peanut Remote, it turns the power of the HK DVD on. I'm confirmed this happens to other units and have spoken to HK support about this. They are aware of the problem and are assessing how to resolve it. It appears they might have people bring the units into a service center to have the front IR (and remote) replaced.

Anyway, I digress...I'd like to get a receiver for no more than $1,000 if possible. While I only have a 2-channel system now, I plan on adding a center channel and a subwolfer within the next year followed by 2 surrounds - hence a 5.1 system.

My primary priority is music, especially 2-channel or 2.1/3.1 channel, followed by HT. I tend to like warmer sounds and listen to fairly diverse types of music - although I tend to favor hard rock/punk rock. The receiver would also need to handle some clean acoustic guitar.

So far, my primary choices have been HK and Marantz given my price range. I've always like NAD, however, their receivers don't transcode S-video and Composite video to Component video (I want 1 video to my HDTV, which I have yet to purchase).

I've always been interested in Rotel, although I'm not keen about the "buzz" I've heard on their RSX 1056 for a receiver at that price. Plus, I'm not sure I'd get the full value out of the receiver with bookshelf speakers.

I've entertained looking into Pioneer Elite, although I can't say I'm excited about owning a Pioneer product.

Any thoughts are much appreciated!
    Last edited by jimatvs; 28 January 2005, 12:15 Friday.
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Jim, welcome to The Guide. :welcome:

If you like the Denon sound, why not stay with a Denon product? The 3805 has an MSRP of $1199. It's quite a nice unit and you can beat the MSRP by a bit at your local dealer. Or there is the 2805 which is also a good choice and at an MSRP of $899 doesn't break the bank. Denon's IMO have a "sound" similar to what you are looking for, a little warmer mid-range, but good detail throughout (good but not great). Also, both models have video upconversion from composite and S-video to component which you specified, and both have automatic room-EQ calibration features (a biggie in my book).

Oh FWIW, I'm not a Denon owner, so don't worry about being shilled.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• jimatvs
      • Jan 2005

David - thanks for the response. I should have mentioned that Denon is still on my list to demo as the DRA-555 Receiver I bought in 1985 has been a workhorse! I will definitely check out the 3805 and 2805 as they look like they have a full feature set.

In other forums, I've heard that the sound of the Denon wasn't as warm as the Marantz and HK and was a bit over-processed. Don't know if this is true - and if so, for what models.

One thing I always struggle with is whether I want the top of the line product from a more mass-market vendor or the lower-end products from a higher-end product. I know HK, Marantz and Denon all fit into the more mass-market space...so I'm open to other alternatives in the high-end receiver market.

Part of my challenge is that it is hard to demo various receivers as most places don't carry Vienna Acoustics...and the places that do don't tend to offer all the various receivers.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

Comment

• rick c
        • Aug 2004

Try auditioning the rotel rsx1056.

Comment

• jimatvs
          • Jan 2005

Rick - I'll definitely audition the RSX1056. In fact, I first discovered this receiver when I was shopping for my Vienna Acoustics. However, I wasn't able to hear the receiver matched with the speakers.

I like the idea of getting what you pay for WRT 5.1 as I am unlikely to move past 5.1 in the next several years. Thus, why pay for the extra amps! And the ability to add another 2 channels is nice.

BTW - do you need to have 6.1 or 7.1 to listen to DVD Audio?

I have been trying to find a dealer that sells both in S. California. I'm sure with some perseverance I'll find one. Of-course, the odds of that dealer also selling HK/Marantz/Denon are slim to none!

Thanks!

Comment

• rick c
            • Aug 2004

I dont have a dvd-a/sacd player right now but the rotel would perform fine in my opinion.I think 5.1 is enough to do what ever is needed.And it is nice to be able to go 6.1 or 7.1 in the future if i wanted to just by adding an amp.Run dont walk to audition the rotel.It's a great receiver.

Comment

• senorjim
              • Nov 2004

I got to audition the Denon (5803), Marantz (SR8400), and NAD. The one I like the most & purchased was the B&K (507 with my Haydn), unfortunately it was also the most expensive. The Rotel is nice I also audition them but not with the Vienna but with the B&W speaker and it sounded very nice...

If a $1000 is all you want to spend why dont you buy used? There is good stuff used if you look around... Just my $.02. Hope that helps.

Comment

• GregoriusM
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2000

I just bought a Rotel RSX-1056 and will be auditioning the Haydn Grand speakers tomorrow.

I'll let you know what "I" hear.

The HG's up here are $1800 CAD, and I read on Sumiko's site that the matching center is $1200 USD!!!! Yoiks!!!

They don't have any dipole/bipole surrounds in the lineup, which dissapoints me, but I'm less discerning when it comes to HT than with music.

Greg
                Gregor

Comment

• stringzz
                  • Apr 2005

Jim, you might try shopping on audiogon/videogon for a used receiver. You might be able to get more bang for your buck. Just a thought.

Comment

• GregoriusM
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Oct 2000

Wo!

I auditioned the Vienna Acoustics latest version of the Haydn, the Haydn Grand.

Almost the same but with a slightly larger bass driver.

Did I say Wo?

That is the speaker for me, when I can afford it. ($1700 pair CAD)

I auditoned it with the Rotel RSX-1056. The Rotel helped the Haydn's sound wonderful, even though the speakers had something like 5 hours on them, and a review of them said that you really need to put around 300, yes 300 hours on them for them to really give you their best sound.

The Rotel sounded great with them, but they were crying out for about a 200 w/channel 2-channel amp to go with the Rotel.

Then I listened to them with a "lowly" $500 CAD Paradigm center with a DVD-A. It sounded pretty good however you could really tell the coloring of the sound in the center, however I would guess if someone was to get the matching Maestro Grand center channel speaker (probably $1700 CAD - the "Maestro - non Grand" center was $1500 CAD - they hadn't gotten in the new Maestro Grand center yet) it would sound magnificent. Eric Clapton was the DVD-A.

The matching center for the Haydn is the Theatro, although I think it would sound pretty good with the Haydn Grand's as well. ($1000 CAD).

So, I know where the pennies are going over the next while.

2 - Haydn Grand mains
                    1 - Maestro Grand center
                    2 - Haydn Grands surrounds (yeah, in my lifetime! not)
                    1 - Theatro center for the back channel. I don't think I'd need 2 back surround channels)
                    1 - Possibly REL subwoofer (haven't researched them all that much, but any tight, clean, low, musical sub will do)

1 - Rotel 200 w/ch 2-channel amp (or something of equivalent quality, but probably a Rotel to be as close to the surrounds as possible)
                    1 - Rotel 200 w/ch monoblock for the center (I don't think Rotel makes a 3-channel amp for the mains and center)

The surrounds and back will be just fine with the 75 true watts of the receiver

1 - case of Miller High Life
                    1 - mass of popcorn
                    1 - weekend

Lots of music!

Anyway, I think the 1056 is a great start for the Haydn's and then add a 2-channel amp of your choice now or later.

IMHO!

Greg
                    Gregor

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"