X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sharnyo
    • Jun 2004

Sharing front speakers with 2 receivers

Ok. The title may sound weird but it has a reason.

I have my speakers hooked to a 5.1 HT receiver. Since I also like good stereo system, I have a thought of using a stereo receiver and use the same two front speakers.

That way, I can share the front speakers for both HT and Stereo receivers. Of course, can't turn on both at the same time. Is there a way to do it in a better way than say, building a switch to toggle between each receiver to the speakers. BTW, my HT receiver doesn't have a pre-out so using a stereo amp to do that does't work.

Any idea / suggestion ?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

There's no reasonably priced off the shelf product that can do this, since the output from two receivers need to be completely electrically isolated from each other. (remember that power amp output signals are AC)

In theory a special buffered active switcher could be created but it's cost would take your breath away........sorry

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• sharnyo
      • Jun 2004

The closest one I come across is a speaker switch box made by Rotel : RSS-900. But this unit is to attach multiple speakers to a receiver. It provides impedance buffering as more speakers are added. Wish that it was the other way around

Anyway thanks for the reply. At least, I can put this idea to rest.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"