X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • av neophite
    • Jan 2006

Need receiver for B&W CCM series

I've been researching many reviews and threads in order to pair a receiver to my B&W (3)CCM 817s and (2)CCM80's. I've listened to many brands in the dealer demo rooms, which I'll never be able to reproduce in my own home. So, I've broke it down to 3 units; HK AVR7300, Rotel RSX 1056, Yamaha RXV2500. I aware each have their +/- and $ differences. That's why I'm asking "Which unit would you choose for this application?"
  • DL86
    • Sep 2005

From what I heard the yamaha will stuggle to keep its 2 channel power rating when all channels are driven, something about 60% of the 2 channel power rating will result when all channels are driven. However the Rotel will maintain its full power at all times and I beleive it is more musical than the yamaha. If you want bells and whistles and decent sound go for the yamaha or if you want real sound and less on the features go for the Rotel. I have no experience with the HK AVR7300.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Features, go for the Yamaha, sound quality, go for the Rotel, the HK's likely somewhere in the middle (though I believe they have more advanced room correction then Yamaha). HK have had some reliability issues in the past, while Rotel has had some QC problems, though Rotel also comes with a 5 year warranty.
      Jason

Comment

• av neophite
        • Jan 2006

Thank you DL86 & Aud19 for your input. I've been unable to find anyone that has heard or owns the HK. I was most interested in the Faroudja up-converting of the video and the power/sound quality. The fact it's HK's "Flagship",(soon to be suceeded) and can be for less than half of the orginal MSRP is intriguing.

Comment

• SlikRX
          • Jan 2006

Faroudja

Just another thought...

What DVD player do you have, and does it already have a de-interlacer? I'm just thinking that adding ANOTHER connection (and any requisite noise, loss of data/etc) between your source (DVD player) and your TV/Monitor might not be the best idea. Not to mention the cost of another cable (only a concern if you're using HDMI, but still a possible issue)

Some TV's have a good de-interlacer and some quality, moderately proced DVD players do as well,and the possible savings by getting a lower level HK might be useful for speakers, or something else...

Comment

• av neophite
            • Jan 2006

Silkrx, I have not selected a DVD player yet. I'm building a new system my current Denon avr1803/dvd900 will be moved to another room. Is it your opinion that the HK 7300 is overkill for this application? My understanding is that the up-conversion can be bypassed if not necessary. HDMI is not option at this time, I have component cables ran to the display area. Thanks for your input.

Comment

• SlikRX
              • Jan 2006

Overkill? Not if you like it!

From what I see for the specs of the 7300, it looks amazing!. It's just that I don't know enough about the HK 7300 to say one way or the other. I think HK makes an awesome AVR, it's just that I'm a tightwad and am always looking to get more bang for the buck, or at least equivalent bang for less bucks.

I was kind of forced into bypassing because my cable uses HDMI and I have the HK 235 which doesn't support that. (my setup is less than a week old) The only thing I've been concerned about is possible lag between the A & V, but to my not-so-trained eyes and ears, there's nothing to worry about.

I'm still fairly new at the whole HT thing, but one thing I have gleened is that you (or I) need to do what makes you feel good about your setup, assuming there's no FUBAR factor in what's being done. (and I can't see anything like that here) For me it meant gettng B&W 600 series speakers for my front, center and surrounds. Are they overkill for me? Yeah, probably a bit, but there's a comfort level I get knowing that the few times I crank things up, the sound will have all the clarity, cleanliness and precision that it has at low levels or, when listening to Blue Man Group's DVD that it is just stunning! I skimped on my AVR, but overshot my wad on the speakers. But hey, I'm happy!

Jeff

Oh, and one more possibilty, my TV monitor (Vizio P50HD) has pretty darned good de-interlacing (it uses faroudja), so maybe yours can handle it as well...

Comment

• june
                • Feb 2005

Don't forget the YAMAHA RX-V657!!!
                $500.00
                June
                "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• av neophite
                  • Jan 2006

Bang for the buck

That's what I'm trying to accomplish. I think the value item of the 3 is the Yamaha. The Rotel is reccomended by the B&W group, and is a solid performer with a less is more attitude. The HK is the "Big Boy" of the group but, I have not been able to hear it or get feedback from any owners. I've got to pull the trigger soon. The display I'm going to use is the Panasonic TH-50HD8UK. The primary question is which one of these receivers would be the best match to the speakers?

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"