X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EAmin
    • Aug 2004

DD-15 Blown Woofer

HT experts! One of my of two DD-15s blew the woofer today. Assuming it is a blown woofer as it is making a crackling noise that seems to be coming from the speaker itself. I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow to investigate. However, I am trying to figure out what happened. Apparently, we had a power outage yesterday, but I didn't notice it until today. I'm wondering if the power surge was the problem as both subs are plugged into the wall on the same 15amp circuit, and only one sub was affected. ???

Couple of questions:

1. Could a power surge cause this to happen?
    2. Do I need to plug both subs into a line conditioner to protect them from surges? I always leave the subs on.

Any recommendations to protect my equipment? (BTW, I do have a power conditioner for everything except my Rotel amps and the subs).

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by EAmin; 16 December 2005, 00:58 Friday.
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

My sub failed during a storm one day a couple of years back and also made a crackling sound. Turns out that the amp got fried, driver was OK.

I have mine plugged into a Monster HTS5000 power center. Just have to make sure whatever power device you get has enough capacity.
    Danish

Comment

• peterS
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

sonds like your rotel amp is toast

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

EAmin,

I only have one sub, but since it is located ~ 15ft away from the line conditioner, I have a separate conditioner which I plug directly into the sub.

I protect all my equipment with surge protectors (look at the joule ratings, the higher the better), you should as well, especially if you're located in a high storm area. Remember it's not the power down that hurts equipment, its mostly the sudden power up.

Good luck at the dealer and keep up posted.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• locomk
          • Dec 2005

Eamin, sounds like the amp in the sub to me. i had a spl and it just went dead, took it apart and ran a pair speaker wires directly to the woofer and it was fine. the amp just simply blew and was sending little or no power to the woofer, possibly why your getting a little crackling.

Comment

• EAmin
            • Aug 2004

Driver is gone

Thanks guys for the responses. It was a blown woofer. Luckily, I still have another year on the warranty so it was covered. Each velo has a 1200 watt amp that puts out 3000 watts RMS. I have two located somewhat close to each other (along the same wall) so using a single power conditioner for both would be great (if possible). Any recommendations? I have a Monster HTS 5100 for my other equipment.

Comment

• EAmin
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by peterS
              sonds like your rotel amp is toast
              Actually, both my Rotel amps are fine. Any weird surges seem to trip the protection circuit. Knock on wood, I haven't experienced any power problems with them.

Comment

• Shane Martin
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2001

It does sound like the amp on the sub. Velodyne had issues a while back with this but I thought they had fixed those.

Comment

• EAmin
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Shane Martin
                  It does sound like the amp on the sub. Velodyne had issues a while back with this but I thought they had fixed those.
                  My dealer told me it's the driver, and is ordering me a new one. Mentioned nothing about the amp. I'll check again with him. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"