X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spearmint
    • Sep 2004

Surround speaker orientation?

Regarding the back and side speakers. Is it better to have them mounted the normal way i.e. tweeter at the top, or mount them upside down so the tweeter is at the bottom and the bass driver at the top?

You can see the speakers here.
    Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Well normally we all say to bring the tweeter as close to the listening level as possible... Now with that said, if you mount the surrounds upside down, then that can cause the tweeter to actually get blocked by your chairs (though yours look like there shouldn't be any problems).

My suggestion, is for the 10 seconds it takes to flip them around. Try it and see which you think sounds better.

Flipping them upside might give you more "detailed" sound since it brings the tweeter closer to you.
    Last edited by PewterTA; 15 December 2005, 15:41 Thursday.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• Spearmint
      • Sep 2004

Thanks,

I will give it a try this weekend.
      Richard

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by PewterTA
        My suggestion, is for the 10 seconds it takes to flip them around. Try it and see which you think sounds better.
        :T :yesnod:
        Jason

Comment

• DLLutz
          • Dec 2005

Richard,

Cool room, it looks like you are making real progress...

I noticed your subs are inside your L & R front speakers closer to your screen. Have you tried them in the corners and if so did you notice any big difference? Mine are now in the far Left and Right corners and if I get time this weekend I am thinking about trying them in the same place that you have yours.

Any one else have comments on this?

Thanks in advance
          David

Comment

• Spearmint
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by DLLutz
            Richard,

Cool room, it looks like you are making real progress...

I noticed your subs are inside your L & R front speakers closer to your screen. Have you tried them in the corners and if so did you notice any big difference? Mine are now in the far Left and Right corners and if I get time this weekend I am thinking about trying them in the same place that you have yours.

Any one else have comments on this?

Thanks in advance
            David
            Hi David,

Thanks for the kind words.

I have both the mains and subs away from the corners, and the wall behind.

I do not require any additional room gain from the subs, hence why they are away from the walls & corners.

Also I run other subs in the room; for instance behind the seats is an M&K5000 for near field operation.

Bear in mind that none of the speakers or subs has been permanently located, they where just put in the spot for playing. I have still to setup up the computer and run some in room sweeps to check how they are performing in room.
            Richard

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Richard, you could also try laying the speakers on their side.

David, I had to move my sub from the corner. It was far too boomy there. I had to place it about midway between the center and left front speaker to get the sound right. I also added a sub to the back of the room and had to experiment with that for placement also. It is now located about 5 feet down the right side wall from the back wall. This setup makes my pantlegs flap at times, but the bass is good and blends well with the others speakers. Sub placement really has a lot to do with the room itself. They are all different.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• DLLutz
                • Dec 2005

George,
                My subs in the corners (one in each) do sound boomy, but I am trying to maximize
                my gain. My room is large 25' X 45'. I am running one 18" sub in each corner but as mentioned eariler I am going to try them midway.

I read somewhere that maybe I should place them somewhere in the room side by side
                (touching) to get +3db gain by coupling. Have you heard of this?

Thanks for your input.
                David

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

I read somewhere that maybe I should place them somewhere in the room side by side

David
                  No, but it sounds feasible. I have heard of stacking two subs, though. You know, with subs experimentation seems to be the thing.
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• Spearmint
                    • Sep 2004

Pewter,

I turned the speakers upside down last night, fantastic improvement it clarity & detail, especially with SACD & DVD-A.

George,

Funny you should suggest I lay them down as I was thinking the same thing, although inverting them as made a big improvement.

Originally posted by DLLutz
                    George,
                    My subs in the corners (one in each) do sound boomy, but I am trying to maximize
                    my gain. My room is large 25' X 45'. I am running one 18" sub in each corner but as mentioned eariler I am going to try them midway.

Thanks for your input.
                    David
                    By adding another sub in your room you can expect up to 3dB of gain, by stacking them or locating them next to each other you can gain another 3dB or around 6dB in total.

Have you tried putting one of the subs at the back of the room for near field operation?
                    Richard

Comment

• PewterTA
                      • Nov 2004

Good to hear it made a big difference for you Rich!!!
                      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                      -Dan

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"