X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tchaik
    • Nov 2009

Slight variation on the statements/2cc jed/frodaddy center channel

okay guys,

i have wrestled with this all year and have finally made a decision. having corresponded with jed i have decided to take his and frodaddy's statements/2cc center channel and downsize it a bit with the newer rs-225-8 drivers as opposed to the older sealed versions since they are no longer available. i had considered using the dayton 7" reference sealed since i have a few of these at home right now, but realized i couldn't reduce the height by anymore than i am suggesting right now. so......it just made sense to stay with the 8" drivers.

overall dimensions will go from (32" by 10 1/2" by 13 1/4') to (30" by 9 1/2" by 13 1/4"). i have kept the mids/tweeter orientation exactly the same and have kept the mid/tweet portion of the cabinet the same volume. the woofers would be 1/2 closer to the center than jed/s design but i have been assured this will have little to no deleterious effect to the performance. the downsizing changes affect the overall woofer volume going from 1.4 cubic feet to 1.1 cubic feet. the proposed volume is approximately 80% of frodaddy's volume and according to curt on his statements page this is a reasonable change going from the sealed 8" drivers to the unsealed 8".

my only real concern is the changes jed made to the tweeter circuit because the center channel should be listened to on axis. my center will be sitting at five feet high with a little tilt downward of cabinet but not enough to be truly on axis.

so.......... i have a couple questions for all you wise sages out there.

1. should i think differently about the changes jed made to the tweeter circuit because of the speaker's placement?

2. can anyone out there model the dual rs 225-8 woofers in the new volume keeping in mind that i can always add to the depth of the cabinet to return back to the original volume or somewhere in between 1.4 and 1.1 cubic feet? i can easily add on approximately 2 1/2" to the depth to reach 1.4 cubic feet volume if necessary. it is the height and width i was trying to reduce to make the wife happier.

btw.....having a mac at the moment makes it difficult for me to use all that box software out there since it is all windows based.

my plan is to start the cabinet as soon as spring semester is over and pick up the majority of parts and drivers at parts express when they have their big july tent sale.

sometime in the next two weeks i will post a picture of my proposed changes and see what y'all think.

tchaik....................
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

If you can add the depth with no problem... that's what I'd do to make the volume for the woofers similar.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Jed
      If you can add the depth with no problem... that's what I'd do to make the volume for the woofers similar.
      Hi Jed,

I'm curious about what effect the additional 10 uF cap in the ribbon circuit has on the sound? I assumed you'd made some changes to the mids since its closed vs. open back but that portion of the crossover is the same.

Sorry for the newbie questions.

Jim

Comment

• Jed
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Apr 2005

It's necessary for the proper summing of the drivers on the design axis (tweeter) with both mids mounted below the tweeter. Without it the response wasn't as flat through the treble near the crossover point. My theory why I didn't have to adjust the mid bandpass at all is because I used an oversized sealed enclosure where the mids see a lot of air volume behind them, similar in effect to the open back mid tunnels you used for the original design. Also the baffle width isn't all that much different and the diffraction profile of the mids was within range of the original tower. Therefore the original bandpass worked well. I didn't want to reinvent the wheel.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Thanks Jed! I assumed it had to do with the rearrangement of the drivers but I wasn't certain. I appreciate your quick response.

Jim

Comment

• tchaik
            • Nov 2009

jed, i did a re-calculation on size and by extendeing the depth to 15 1/2" that will return the volume to your original calculations and it will also work in my space.

thanks for the info. looking forward to the project.

Comment

• tchaik
              • Nov 2009

just finished grading some finals. needed a break. ran downstairs and cut 7 of 10 pieces for the cabinets. ran out of mdf. raining now so it is not a good time to pick more up.

oh well..........

tchaik..................

Comment

• tchaik
                • Nov 2009

well, i finished the project and i am extremely pleased with the result. i kept all the xover parts the same, downsized the front profile to 30" by 9 1/2" and increased the depth to 15 1/2" which kept the internal volume close to the same. i had to use the unshielded woofers since the shielded are no longer available and yet i hear no difference in bass extension between these and my sealed statements used for r/l. i also made adjustments to the mid chamber to stay with jed's prescribed volume. in order to build the smaller profile, i moved the woofers each about an 3/4 inch closer to center and moved the tweeter down about 1/8" to tighten up the distance between the mids and the tweeter. i have no idea if these changes did anything significant to jed/s variation but i personally can not hear anything that i object to. i am very pleased with the end result. the wife has not yet noticed the change of center channel but when she does i am hoping it will not appear too imposing to her in the living room.

the cabinet is covered in oak veneer and stained to an antique walnut like the rest of the furniture and system.

again....

thanks jim, curt, jed and frodaddy for your ideas and hard work providing us lesser mortals with something wonderful to build.

p.s. if i ever figure how to post pictures I will do so. had some real problems with photo-bucket where things were only showing up as thumbnails. if any one wants to see what it looks like right now, pm me with your email and i will send it to you. if you are savy in this picture posting process, you are more than welcome to post the pictures in my stead.

tchaik..............

if i ever
                Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 15:21 Wednesday. Reason: Update text

Comment

• Bear
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Dec 2008

No pics = it didn't happen.
                  Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• Jed
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by tchaik
                    thanks jim, curt, jed and frodaddy for your ideas and hard work providing us lesser mortals with something wonderful to build.
                    Glad this worked out so well for you! :T

Jed

Comment

• tchaik
                      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Bear
                      No pics = it didn't happen.
                      it did happen and this week i will attempt to put them up. if they show up only as thumbnail size you will know i was only partially successful.

tchaik.................

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"