X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin_B
    • Nov 2005

Narrowing down receiver options

First post! Been reading a lot, and doing some searching on here. I think I've narrowed down my receiver options to the ones listed in the poll. What do you think?

I'm looking for $400-550 range, discrete amplification, video switching. My "theater" is my 14'x13' family room. I'm going for 5.1 surround, mostly using the system for TV (digital cable, possibly HDTV) and movies. Of course, I'll be hooking up my iPod to it also.

I'd also like compatibility with HDTV. What should I look for - HDMI interfaces?

By the way, if you vote please tell me why you voted for that one over the others. :T
    Marantz SR4600
    50.00%
    Yamaha RX-V557
    33.33%
    Denon AVR-1906
    16.67%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Kevin_B; 27 November 2005, 19:30 Sunday. Reason: more information
  • VikingP
    • Feb 2005

Hi,

I voted for the Marantz, but it was close between it and the Denon. One thing that I would suggest is that you get a receiver with Pre-Outs, that way if ever you want to add another amp for your main speakers, you will be able to. Furthermore, if you decide later on to move towards separates, it would be easier for the wallet, since you won't have to buy the amps and pre/pro at once; it allows for a somewhat "smoother" upgrading curve.
    Your final choice also depends on whether you watch more movies, or listen to more music. Back when I compared a Denon and a Marantz, it seemed to me that the Denon was a bit better for movies and the Marantz better for music. But this is really subjective, so the only good way of determining which one sounds better is to listen to both of them, side by side, or at least with the same speakers and source.

Hope it helps.

Paul

Comment

• Kevin_B
      • Nov 2005

Thanks Paul. I'll update my original post with more information about what I'm wanting in the system.

Unfortunately, being in Hawaii my options for actually listening to different setups are VERY limited. Next to the usual HTiB outlets, custom system stores are very hard to find here. There's one store here I went to that carries Definitive, Klipsch, and one other speaker line, and Yamaha and Denon receivers. I didn't see any Marantz though. So, I'm stuck making the best decision I can based on reading and researching.

Comment

• wildfire99
        • Aug 2005

I'm not sure I buy the whole "sound" thing. Sure I used to, then I kind of realized that a huge part of that "sound" is in the downstream components from the receiver: amps and the speakers. I buy a receiver based on the features it has, a quick review of how people feel about it in general, and reliability.

The last receiver I bought was an Anthem AVM30. I purchased it based on my needs. I never auditioned one. It does just about everything except Logic 7 that I want, and I am extremely happy with my upgrade options for it. The one before that was a Pioneer 1014. I had never heard a Pioneer either, let alone the 1014, but I didn't need to. It sounded great, given it's price point (the amps are limited, IMO).

Before that was a Harmon Kardon AVR-8000. It also sounded great, without an audition. Before that was a Yamaha VX995 that I picked up from a local Sears, which stared at me silently from the shelf. Honestly, I can't say I 'hear' a difference between any of these. At least, nothing that sticks out. I'm sure that if I was obsessive and did a sit-down, A/B/C test between all of them, I could conjure up some magical audiophile terms and say the Anthem has more "air" than the Pioneer and the HK is "warmer" than the Anthem, and that all of them generally have a more expansive soundstage than say, two tin cans connected with string.

Buy based on feature set and build quality, and what you feel makes you happy. Then don't worry about it. At least, that's how I do it now. I do have an A/B test in mind for the near-term future, but it's going to be between my Nady subwoofer "pro amp" and the Halo A21 amp I use for the mains. Even then, I'm not sure there's going to be a huge difference.

One thing I have taken to doing is buying used for all my solid-state gear that I can. It allows me to set my budget generously, then essentially get 50%-100% more budget for free. Perhaps you'll feel better getting a used Denon 2805/3805 instead, for the same budget.

I do hear a difference in my system when I hook up different speakers (not always subtle), and depending on wattage and volume, amps (somewhat more subtle). But I don't fret the processor side too much.
        - Patrick
        "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

I voted for the Yamaha and the Denon. Both are pretty strong surround sound receivers. Though you can get the more popular Yamaha Rx-V2400 for about $450 over the V557.

It depends a lot on what you are going to do with the system, strictly movies, Denon probably is the best choice, listening to music however, the Denon tends to fall on it's knees in 2ch reproduction. The Yamaha is a solid performer, but it tends to be on the bright side, so if you had something like Klipsch speakers, you would definitely not want a Yamaha. So it's a little less "universally friendly" wish speakers.

The Marantz, while good in just about ever respect I've just not gotten a warm reception to them. So I don't want to really comment on them as I'm not here to deter you from any selection.
          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

• Kevin_B
            • Nov 2005

I'm noticing the Denon not getting much love here. hehe. Any other opinions on a good 75% movies, 25% music receiver let me know.

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

If you can boost your budget a few hundred $'s you get get one of the new units with auto room calibration, HDMI switching etc...

Pioneer's another brand though I'm a fan of all 4 brands.
              Jason

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"